Losing all my fuel through the carb

mudpie

Threads
I have a pressure washer with a 16 hp Vanguard. It sat in storage for years, but according to the guy I got it from it ran well prior to going into storage. When I got it, the fuel tank was empty. I put a little fuel in it just to see if it would run, and it started up...smoked a bit, but it ran. I shut it down, changed the oil (which looked ok, but it was years old), and put a gallon or so of gas in it. I pressure washed a couple small things just to make sure it was running well, then shut it down.

A couple days later I was going to use it, but it wouldn't start. I checked the tank, and it was empty. Checked the oil, and there's fuel in it. I also found my intake manifold was full of gas. I had forgot to close the fuel shut off valve, but still, shouldn't the needle valve in the carb stop the flow when the bowl is full? I took the carb apart, and there's nothing in there that looks like it would block the needle valve from closing. I was thinking maybe sitting in storage might have cause the seal to deteriorate. I thought about replacing the needle, but my local dealer doesn't have it in stock. I had him check on a carb rebuild kit, and he quoted me a ridiculous price ($184). Then he quoted me $229 for a new carb.

I'm a little leery of putting a needle valve in. I've been down this road before. I've got a 3.5 briggs motor on an edger that leaks gas through the air filter housing. I cleaned it twice, and replaced the needle valve and seat, and it still leaks. My experience with fixing carburetor leaks is not good, but I'm not sure I want to spend $230 for a carb.

I've got the carb apart now, and when I get home from work I'm going to try and rig something up so I can pour a little fuel in it and watch the float and needle valve to see if it's working / sealing properly. Beyond that though, I have no clue what I'm doing. Is there something else I should be looking at?

Any thoughts appreciated.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some of those Vanguard engine carbs have an external vent that looks similar to the one that the fuel line hooks to that if blocked by what we call a dirt dauber nest will cause the fuel to siphon out of the carb.

Threads
Shoot us your Model number of the engine itself.... Is that a horizontal engine ??

mudpie

Threads
I saw that e eternal vent but didn't know what it was. I'll check it.
Engine numbers are:
Model 303442
Type. 1027-A1
Code. 96103111

Its a horizontal shaft motor
Thanks for the help.