John Deere 170 Starting/PTO issue

MyDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
I just joined the LawnMowerForum. Thanks to all members for your insight. Not sure how much I can contribute, but thanks to all of you for your contributions. I have a 23 year-old JD 170. Lately the blades stop engaging while cutting. Was told most recently that it could be a fuse or stater (I don't know what the stater is) and I don't know where to find the fuses. At first I was told it was my battery, and after having the battery checked and learned it would not hold a charge, I bought a new one. JD worked fine at first, but when I attempted to cut next week, same issue. Now the new battery is dead. Jump started it, but same issue with blades not engaging. HELP!

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
it sounds like the battery is not being recharged. Check your battery voltage while the engine is running with a multimeter. It should be between 13.5-14.5 with a fully charged battery or 12.5 and climbing if the battery is recharging. If it is not recharging the pto clutch will shut down when the battery voltage drops below about 10 volts.

MyDeere

Forum Newbie
Threads
it sounds like the battery is not being recharged. Check your battery voltage while the engine is running with a multimeter. It should be between 13.5-14.5 with a fully charged battery or 12.5 and climbing if the battery is recharging. If it is not recharging the pto clutch will shut down when the battery voltage drops below about 10 volts.

You are dead on Illinois Engine. The new battery is too small for my tracker (although I could not tell the salesperson that when I was buying it; he insisted I was off the mark--afterall, I am just an old lady). Anyway, I replaced the PTO fuse with a 30 amp vs the old burnt out 15 amp and since the cable was a little scorched, I spliced it also, jump started it and the PTO switch is fine. Now I am taking back the small battery to exchange it.

Thanks so very much!! :thumbsup:

Briana

Lawn Addict
Threads
Hey there - WELCOME to LMF!

I moved your thread to the John Deere Forum. :smile:

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
... The new battery is too small
... Anyway, I replaced the PTO fuse with a 30 amp vs the old burnt out 15 amp and since the cable was a little scorched, I spliced it also, jump started it and the PTO switch is fine.

The battery size really is not the issue...
The problem sounds to be that the engine is not charging, the battery, while the tractor is running... Everything will seem fine until the remaining voltage drops, check if the battery is being charged.

Do not over size the fuse... it is there to protect the wiring and clutch, & switch... too big s fuse will reduce the protection... :smile:KennyV

mullins87

Threads
I wondering if it's nothing more than a bad connection at the regulator, or the regulator itself.