Big Dog - Black Jack 48" - Deck Belt Issues since day one

AmosIam1

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Big Dog - Black Jack 48" - Deck Belt Issues since day one
Has anyone else had issues with their deck belt jumping off when being engaged? I have a Big Dog Black Jack 48" mower with less than 125 hours on my mower and have gone through 4 belts. Been back to the dealer twice with no solution to the problem other than a new belt. I did find that the belt guide for the center pulleys was missing on my 48" deck from the manufacture. Dealer supplied and I have installed but still have the same issues. Also noticed that the spring loaded idler has a little wobble in it from the factory and I have wondered if when the belt is engaged that the little bit of wobble allows the belt to jump off. It is a 40 minute process to remove the spring loaded idler, and other pulleys to removed the belt that is pinched under the pulleys and then to reassemble everything. Great mower but this deck belt issue SUCKS!!

Mine also had two missing bolts, found two extra nuts and one frame bolt was loose.

Any help would be recommended.

Thanks,
Amos

mhavanti

Threads
  • / Big Dog - Black Jack 48" - Deck Belt Issues since day one
Amos,

A wobbling idler could give some problems. However, it would have to be a fairly wide movement from side to side in order for a belt to find the lowest point of travel on the wobble in order to follow the leading edge of the pulley at the point the back of the belt is making contact with outside of the pulley. Add in the wobbling pullet may also cause the belt to also oscillate. If the oscillation and pulley wobble works together, most likely the belt could walk right off the idler pulley.

Do you have an action camera you can mount on the deck to video the belt while mowing? That usually will give you all the answers when it comes to this sort of thing thereby removing any questions.

Good luck,

Max