04 L120/ Engaging mower clutch or letting out on brake/clutch pedal kills engine

xray man

Threads
  • / 04 L120/ Engaging mower clutch or letting out on brake/clutch pedal kills engine
So I was happy as a pig rolling in s*** for a couple of hours getting the grass cut and it quit running, so I pushed switch in for the mower clutch and pushed the brake/clutch pedal down and it started right up.
When I pulled switch out for mower it killed the motor. Pushed it back in.
Restarted it and let out on brake/clutch pedal just about an inch and it killed the motor.
The only switch I unplugged when I pulled the transmission was the one at the forward/reverse lever on the right side of the transmission.
I checked it with my meter and it appears to be okay.
Normally open, correct?
Maybe the reverse override switch?
But would that affect the mower clutch engaging?
So I got it under the shed by having right pedal down (forward) and letting brake/clutch pedal out real quick and then down real quick over and over.
Parked it, went to Panama City Beach for a week.
Came back and the Gremlins hadn't fixed it.
I bypassed the seat switch a couple of years ago. Bypass is still intact and has worked fine.
It sounds like a safety switch issue. I'm not sure how to approach them.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
  • / 04 L120/ Engaging mower clutch or letting out on brake/clutch pedal kills engine
Yes it is a safety switch problem and it is the seat switch.
As you have bypassed it follow the wiring and somewhere there will be a pinched or worn section where the wire is making a ground contact.

dfbroxy

Threads
If it isnt the seat safety switch wire, then check the brake pedal switch and the reverse mow switch.