Pressure Washer stopped running. Attempted Repairs. Won't start at all

BigPapaGotti

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / Pressure Washer stopped running. Attempted Repairs. Won't start at all
New member here in desperate need of some help.

A bit of background on this pressure washer first. I used this pressure washer for about a full day or so, pressure washing our deck, house and driveway. In total this thing probably ran for 4 - 6 hours that day. The pressure washer has ALWAYS been difficult to start. I usually have to pull on the starting cord about 30 - 45 times before it will finally start up. When it is running / idle it pulsates, but as soon as you pull the trigger on the pressure washer it seems to run fine. After that day of use I tried to start it up again because I needed to get a few more spots on my house and deck that were streaky, but no matter what I have tried I can't get the thing to start. Below is what I have attempted and the specs of this pressure washer for reference.

The first thing I did was remove the carb and clean it with carb cleaner. Making sure that all the jets were cleaned out. I then put it back together and tried to start it up but I had no luck. The pressure washer would make like a "puff puff puff" or "blub blub blub blub" sound but it would never fire. I checked the spark plug and I am getting spark. I put my thumb over the spark plug hole and I feel air pushing my thumb off of the hole. I also made sure the spark plug comes out a bit wet so I know that gas is getting to this part of the engine. I would also say that the engine would *almost* back fire when I would attempt to start it up. However, it never made the loud bang that a back fire typically does.

The next thing I tried was replacing the head gasket. The "puff" sounds lead me to believe that the gasket was leaking air and perhaps that was the problem. I ordered a Briggs & Stratton gasket set and replaced a few of them that came with the kit. Specifically the following gaskets: Gasket-Cylinder Head, Gasket Plate, Gasket-Rocker Cover. While I had it all torn apart I also cleaned up all the carbon deposits that I could using a wire brush. Since I ordered the gasket set I also spent an extra $20 on a brand new carb just in case I did not do a good enough job cleaning out the original one and a new spark plug. Once I swapped all these gaskets I had to readjust the OHV valve intake and exhaust. This is where I am having some troubles as I'm not exactly sure what the specs are for my particular engine. I seemed to be the closest with getting this to start using the following: Intake=.004 - .006 ; Exhaust = .009 - .011. The engine seemed like it wanted to try and fire up but right before you would typically hear it start to run it would die. I then tried to pull a few more times but did not have any more luck getting even close to starting.. I also tried adjusting to Intake=.005 - .007 ; Exhaust .007 - .009. This adjustment did not seem to be close since it did not get close to starting.

At this point I'm at a loss of what to try next. I would very much like to figure this out and repair it myself since I have so much time invested in it. The good members of this forum can you please answer me the following questions:

1. Can you tell me what the OHV specs should be for my particular engine?
  2. Can you confirm that the left valve is the exhaust and the right is the intake on the OHV?
  3. What else should I try to get this thing to start?

The Model number of this craftsman is 580.768040 Serial is 5376140
The number printed on the OHV cover is Top Number is 981228FD, Bottom number is 121432 0149 E1
Also printed on the engine is Intek 206 6.5HP.

I greatly appreciate any advice / tips / help that anyone will offer. Also if I left out any bit of information that you may find helpful please let me know and I will be glad to provide it.

Thanks a bunch!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The valve settings are the same, IN .005 EX .005 there is no left and right on the valves think you mean top and bottom, bottom I think is the exhaust, you say the plug is wet so I would I'd be looking to see if you have spark.

BigPapaGotti

Forum Newbie
Threads
The valve settings are the same, IN .005 EX .005 there is no left and right on the valves think you mean top and bottom, bottom I think is the exhaust, you say the plug is wet so I would I'd be looking to see if you have spark.

Thank you for your reply. I will double check that I am getting spark, but I do believe I am.

I've attached a couple of photos showing the valves and why I described them as left and right. I believe the left one is the exhaust and the right one is the intake.

Attachments

• 20180603_104949.jpg
    20180603_104949.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 12
  • 20180603_105000.jpg
    20180603_105000.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 8

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The BOTTOM valve in this pic is your EXHAUST valve.....

11 Valve.jpg

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
He does mean 'left' and 'right' as you look at the engine on the pump. His picture is rotated 90 degrees CCW. So, yes, the "left" valve is the exhaust.

When you're trying to start this engine, do you have the water supply already turned on?

If so, try this:

Turn the water supply off.

Squeeze the trigger on the wand to release any pressure in the system.

Go through the starting routine. When the engine starts, turn on the water supply.

BigPapaGotti

Forum Newbie
Threads
He does mean 'left' and 'right' as you look at the engine on the pump. His picture is rotated 90 degrees CCW. So, yes, the "left" valve is the exhaust.

When you're trying to start this engine, do you have the water supply already turned on?

If so, try this:

Turn the water supply off.

Go through the starting routine. When the engine starts, turn on the water supply.

Yes I always had the water supply on when trying to start the engine. The manual stated that I must have it on or else I risk damaging the engine/water pump. I will try it out though with the water supply off.

I was able to adjust the IN and EX valves to .005. The engine now fires up for about a half second and then dies. Then it is hard to start again. Seems like the fuel is not flowing properly despite a brand new carb and fresh gas.

I think I am going to remove the gas tank and the fuel lines and clean it all out to see if that will help with the fuel delivery. Is there anything special that I need to do with a brand new carb? All I did was installed the valve choke and the shaft choke. I never pulled apart the Float Bowl since it was already assembled. Perhaps I will also take the Float bowl off and make sure that the float and valve needle are seated properly.

Any further suggestions are welcome. I greatly appreciate everyone's responses in helping me resolve this issue.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
DO NOT START THE ENGINE WITHOUT THE WATER TURNED ON !! YOU WILL DAMAGE THE PUMP !! CALL any GOOD pressure washer supply house and ASK !!!

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Remain calm.

No, it won't damage your pump. I start mine that way all the time. It is no different than the pump running with out the trigger pulled.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Remain calm.

No, it won't damage your pump. I start mine that way all the time. It is no different than the pump running with out the trigger pulled.

Actually it is different. The water is the lube for the pump. Now if there is water in the pump and you shut off the water supply, start the engine and then turn the water on it will buy you a short period of time. If you have seen how many warranty claims I have to deny because somebody turned on the water but didn't bleed the air out of the hose to the pump and actually melted the white plastic washers that hold the seals in place, stuck them to the pistons and then strung melted plastic through the pump you wouldn't start yours without the water turned on and water flowing from the gun.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
Actually it is different. The water is the lube for the pump. Now if there is water in the pump and you shut off the water supply, start the engine and then turn the water on it will buy you a short period of time. If you have seen how many warranty claims I have to deny because somebody turned on the water but didn't bleed the air out of the hose to the pump and actually melted the white plastic washers that hold the seals in place, stuck them to the pistons and then strung melted plastic through the pump you wouldn't start yours without the water turned on and water flowing from the gun.

I guess I didn't make myself abundantly clear that water HAS been turned on and the air bled out when I said:

There wouldn't BE any pressure in the system if I hadn't already turned on the water, then shut it off.