GXV 390 Leaking Gas out of Muffler

codyleebanks

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey all,

I purchased a new GXV390 engine for my HRC7013 about a year ago. It was running fine until about 2 - 3 weeks ago I noticed the exhaust was running rich. I put it away after mowing and the next time I went out it would not start and it was leaking gas out of the muffler when I cranked it.

I have taken the carb apart, cleaned it, ensured the float and needle were working by testing it with the old carb from my engine, changed the oil, and messed with the throttle and choke arms, but so far it still leaks oil. I always turn the gas valve off when I'm finished mowing as well. After changing the oil today I noticed that when I turned on the gas valve to test it I hear gas running into the carb, stopping, "burping", and then filling again.

There are very few write-ups on these engines so I'm hoping someone out there can help me out. Any ideas?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The float and needle needs to be done again, also check the fuel tap, when off no fuel should pass it.

Honda Tech

Threads
If you have a pressure tester, holding your carburetor upside-down, it should hold 3 ~ 5 psi. The inlet seat is non-serviceable, so if it fails, I would recommend replacing the carb. Also, be sure the air filter spacer and carburetor gaskets are correctly installed or they will restrict/block the vent passages and cause the same issue.
If your fuel cap vent is plugged, your tank will not vent and in turn over-pressurize the inlet needle, forcing it open. See if the problem persist with the fuel cap loose. If the problem resolves, replace the fuel cap.