Dog Holes

Hershey

Threads
Yes, I mean dog holes and not gopher holes. :} One of my dogs, searching for that cool place to watch over the yard, digs herself a hole every year. She then lies down in the hole as she watches over the backyard. Has anyone ever found a way to deal with this issue? I'm really not sure I want to stop her, but it sure makes the back lawn look funny.

rekees

Threads
"Has anyone ever found a way to deal with this issue?"

I use a shovel and fill the holes back up. Could also try a hose (spraying not beating) when caught in the act of digging.

BlueGrass

Threads
A vet once told me to place their poop in the hole and it will deter your dog from doing that. I'm not sure if it works though. Either it works and the vet was a genius or it doesn't work and your dog will be covered in dog poop.

Hershey

Threads
LOL Actually, my dog would just pick another location I think to dig her watchful hole. My sense here is that filling it up is the best bet, though like I said, I think she'd find another spot. It seems to fill up during the winter and then she's back to digging in the summer when it gets hot.

My other dog just finds a nice spot under the evergreens.

beesnroses32

Threads
Do you think she would take to a spot you select for her without digging if you set out a fan, a cushion and a bowl of water? Thats what my old dog would have done but it was an elderly chihuaha

Hershey

Threads
Well, I don't know. There are two dog houses on the patio, which is shaded, and they always have water available. I think the cushion would be mistaken for a toy. I don't think anything is cooler than that hole in the grass.

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
fisherridge..
I see this is your first post ... WELCOME to LM Forum,

I sure have to agree, it's for sure you will miss your pets when they are no longer around... KennyV

noma

Threads
Hi I agree it a pain to have holes all over the yard to stumble into when you are walking around in your own yard,our dog sleep in my wife flower all the time and lays down all the flower plants and that does not make her a happy camper. I don't know how to get him not to do that ,i'm not putting fence around all the flower gardens she has around our agerage so oh well flower seam to come back the next year ok . I like the dog to well to get rid of the dog.

Hershey

Threads
Kenny, quite honestly, that's why I would never do anything to stop this dog from keeping cool by digging a hole. I love her, and she's my priority, not the lawn.

cropcircles

Forum Newbie
Threads
I don't think anything is cooler than that hole in the grass.

Actually I personally think that it is cool only when it is newly-dug? Unfortunately, when the sun is up and beating down on all of us, the hole becomes hot too when the soil starts to absorb the heat of the sun.