Lets talk oil filters

Black Bart

Threads
This spring I bought a new JD ez-trak it has a B&S V-twin on my old 180 I have always used a FL-1 on it and I wanted to get an automotive filter for the new one.
The filter at my local JD dealer is priced outrageous

I wanted to find a good filter with a good price and if it was something that I already keep in stock that would really be good.

The FL-1 is too long not enough room between the engine and frame but the FL-910s that fits my Focus fits.
The 910s is about a inch longer than the JD filter but that is not a problem it fits.

It is larger diameter canister but the seal is the same as the JD filter.
The 910s has a ADBV so it should be ok using it horizontal the relief bypass opens at 14.5 psi while the Briggs opens at 9 psi so I would be less likely to be bypassing dirty oil.

The only spec I can not find for the Briggs is flow rate.

The FL-910 gives the flow rate but nothing to compare it to.

Common sense tells me if it flows enough for a 2.0 L 4 cylinder at 7000 rpm it should be enough for a 724CC at 3400 rpm.

This is available at Wal Mart Auto Zone it is cheap and I already keep those on the shelf anyway and the Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator good filter for the money I have used them for 40 years these are really good filters.

This looks like a win-win to me.
Instead of 14 Bucks at my local JD dealer I can buy the 910s for $3.85 and have a better filter.

Anyone wanting to change the thread is a 3\4-16 same as what Ford uses.

GM uses 13\16-16 won't work.

I have been using a FL-1 on my Kawasaki in my 180 for 25 years and saved a ton of money. :biggrin:

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The OEM filters for my JD are part number M806419, one time my dealer didn't have that number in stock (would have been about $9.50 with tax) so he substituted a Wix 51064, priced at $11 with tax. He said quality was the same. I checked, and I can buy 8 Wix 51064 filters at Auto Parts Tomorrow | ACDelco, Bendix Brakes, Denso, Motorcraft and more for just over $50, no sales tax, free delivery with a $50 order. You guys will not believe this one...my '04 Saturn L-300 has a metal canister that holds a pleated paper refill, the paper refill in really small, but for a quality brand like PureOne, the local stores was FOURTEEN DOLLARS for ONE PAPER FILTER....:eek:

I can get a quality Wix filter for my Saturn from APT for $4.60....big freaking difference there. A THIRD of the cost.

Black Bart

Threads
The OEM filters for my JD are part number M806419, one time my dealer didn't have that number in stock (would have been about $9.50 with tax) so he substituted a Wix 51064, priced at $11 with tax. He said quality was the same. I checked, and I can buy 8 Wix 51064 filters at Auto Parts Tomorrow | ACDelco, Bendix Brakes, Denso, Motorcraft and more for just over $50, no sales tax, free delivery with a $50 order. You guys will not believe this one...my '04 Saturn L-300 has a metal canister that holds a pleated paper refill, the paper refill in really small, but for a quality brand like PureOne, the local stores was FOURTEEN DOLLARS for ONE PAPER FILTER....:eek:

I can get a quality Wix filter for my Saturn from APT for $4.60....big freaking difference there. A THIRD of the cost.
Yes the Pure One is one of the best but expensive and since the Motorcraft is a re-badged Pure One it is a excellent filter at a good price.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yes the Pure One is one of the best but expensive and since the Motorcraft is a re-badged Pure One it is a excellent filter at a good price.

You don't see many Motorcraft filters being sold locally, somebody here :)laughing::thumbsup:) gave me a link to an oil filter study and according to the study, the best brands of filters were Wix, Pure One, K&N, Mobil 1, and Motorcraft. I would go with Pure One myself IF I could find them at a reasonable price. Advance Auto raised the price of the Pure Ones from $9 to $14 less than a year ago.

Black Bart

Threads
You don't see many Motorcraft filters being sold locally, somebody here :)laughing::thumbsup:) gave me a link to an oil filter study and according to the study, the best brands of filters were Wix, Pure One, K&N, Mobil 1, and Motorcraft. I would go with Pure One myself IF I could find them at a reasonable price. Advance Auto raised the price of the Pure Ones from $9 to $14 less than a year ago.

The FL-1a is basically the same thing as a Pure One but cost far less.
Since I own several Ford vehicles and they fit my JD mowers it is a no brainer for me. :licking:

I have a Mobil-1 on the vette because of the extra strong case. I have high oil pressure on that engine

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The FL-1a is basically the same thing as a Pure One but cost far less.
Since I own several Ford vehicles and they fit my JD mowers it is a no brainer for me. :licking:

I have a Mobil-1 on the vette because of the extra strong case. I have high oil pressure on that engine

I use my GMC Yukon for towing, it gets a K&N filter.

robert

Threads
Go to :

Lawn Mower Parts
and look up your brand engines filter, it will list the thread diameter and pitch along with the relief valve setting in psi and whether or not is is anti drain back. With this info you can match up any auto filter , and many believe the bigger, the better. I think you will find that the vast majority of small engine filters are 3/4 16 in the 8-11 psi and are anti drain back-it keeps the filter full of oil when the engine shuts down. Although I think this is important only when the filter is mounted upright and higher up on the engine, but I ain't the smartest person with regard to recip engines.

Black Bart

Threads
I use my GMC Yukon for towing, it gets a K&N filter.
The only difference between the K&N and the Mobil filter is the K&N has a nut on the bottom and cost 3 bucks more.

JDgreen

Lawn Addict
Threads
The only difference between the K&N and the Mobil filter is the K&N has a nut on the bottom and cost 3 bucks more.

And stores around here carry the K&N but not the Mobil.....:laughing::laughing:

Was at the local Meijers store today, the automotive section used to stock Meijer brand oil filters, AC-Delco, MotorCraft, and Purolator. These days they carry only Fram (CRAP) and Pure One, plenty of different Fram models but very few Pure One models. One for my GMC is $14 with tax there.

Black Bart

Threads
And stores around here carry the K&N but not the Mobil.....:laughing::laughing:

Was at the local Meijers store today, the automotive section used to stock Meijer brand oil filters, AC-Delco, MotorCraft, and Purolator. These days they carry only Fram (CRAP) and Pure One, plenty of different Fram models but very few Pure One models. One for my GMC is $14 with tax there.

WHAT ?? You didn't buy the orange kiss of death for your engine. :rolleyes: :laughing: