Ferris blowing oil out of crank case

Rick 1234

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello,
I just finished making my last payment on my Ferris IS700 zero turn mower, two weeks later mower started blowing motor oil onto muffler.
After examining motor I determined it was coming out of lower sump case by the oil filter.
I Googled Brigg & Stratton blowing oil and found out there is a problem with Engine Sump case gasket, I ordered gasket(28.00) overnight(48.00)
and had it next day. You have to remove engine from mower, new bolts come with gasket kit and instructions.
If you blow air into oil fill pipe, oil will come out area that is leaking. Drain oil, remove 10 old bolts from sump case, clean old gasket from both sides of the cases, replace new gasket and reassemble. Warning, torque specification are in inche/pounds...not foot/pounds...you must divide by 12 to convert inche pounds into foot pounds. Second warning, watch where the governor springs come off from so you can put them back the same way. 3rd warning,might have to adjust the governor arm.
I did this this Memorial weekend and my zero turn is working great again.

NorthBama

Threads
Thank you for taking the time to post very good information to share

Lawn Addict
Threads
:thumbsup:

Watto

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hey Rick,

Is you Ferris still under warranty? If so it may be covered,

As i have fixed 2 of these engines recently as they have both failed and have sucked the gasket in the crankcase,
The gasket has not been installed correctly in factory i have found (both low hour engines)

Cheers

misterjim

Forum Newbie
Threads
I had the same problem with my IS2000Z with the 30HP Briggs motor. Still under warranty so the dealer replaced the gasket and said he has seen others with this problem. I love the mower but hate the Briggs motor. I mow 7 acres so I decided to trade it in for a new Ventrac with a 72" deck. Waiting for the factory to build my Ventrac with a water-cooled Kawasaki motor.

Mower King

Threads
The Briggs & Stratton twins ( not the Vangaurd ) did have a sump gasket problem, we have replaced dozens of them. Briggs & Stratton has now changed their design and uses sealant now instead of a paper type gasket...and B&S also added 1 more dial pin so the newer engines have 3 dial pins instead of 2......improvement!

Padroo

Threads
I had a small vertical shaft Briggs years ago and had to do the same thing to it. You would think they would have figured it out by now.:laughing:

I hate anything that leaks.