yard machine 20hp intek brigs and stratton

tzsub123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I was cutting grass today engine running great. Tractor is a 2005. Quit cutting went to eat and came back 40minutes later. Started up and engine didn't sound right. Kind of like a knocking poping noise. Tried to engage and wouldn't cut loss of power. does not smoke. oil is at normal level. thought it might be a blown head gasket, but don't have the smoke. Could it be a vacuum leak.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I am thinking more along the lines of running on one cylinder. With the engine running ground each spark plug one at a time and if you are running on one cylinder the engine will die when you short the good plug. then from there check spark on the bad side and if good there then pull the valve cover and look for a bent or dropped push rod. Come back for further information on other things to check.

Threads
I agree with IL engine on a dropped cylinder...... You do have a V Twin Right ??? Briggs make a 20 in a single cylinder also....

While it's running take off one of the plug wires and see what happens........ Put that one back on then take the other one off and see what happens..........

Use a well insulated set of pliers or you might get the shock of you life LOL..............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

tzsub123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I am thinking more along the lines of running on one cylinder. With the engine running ground each spark plug one at a time and if you are running on one cylinder the engine will die when you short the good plug. then from there check spark on the bad side and if good there then pull the valve cover and look for a bent or dropped push rod. Come back for further information on other things to check.

Hi I checked the engine out as you requested. Right cylinder stalled the engine when I pulled the plug. No change on the left cylinder, the engine kept running when I pulled its plugged. Will pull valve cover on the left side to check out push rods. Thanks for your resonse. Tom Z

tzsub123

Forum Newbie
Threads
I agree with IL engine on a dropped cylinder...... You do have a V Twin Right ??? Briggs make a 20 in a single cylinder also....

While it's running take off one of the plug wires and see what happens........ Put that one back on then take the other one off and see what happens..........

Use a well insulated set of pliers or you might get the shock of you life LOL..............

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

I pulled the right plug and the engine died. When I pulled the left plug the engine kept running. I used well insulated pliers to pul plugs as you suggested lol. Will pull the left cylinder valve cover to check the push rods. Thanks for your response. Greatly appreciated. Tom Z