Bush hog blades

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
Do any of you guys run a bush hog type cutter? If you do, how many hours do you figure you will get out of a set of blades? Do you ever take them off and sharpen them?.... Give me your input.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I sharpened mine once when I was actually mowing my lawn with my bush hog but I decided that I like them dull better. That way they shatter sapling and shrub stumps rather than creating tire spears out of them.

jekjr

Lawn Addict
Threads
I am running a 5’ cutter. I pulled the stump jumper off and had blades sharpened about 30 hours ago and I took the blades off this week and put new blades on. I have cut a lot with this cutter and have only changed blades once.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
I neglected to mention change frequency. I've never changed mine in the 15+ years I've owned it but I never really used it much and it's been sitting unused for a few years. When I do use it I'm mostly running it through brush on trails in the woods and along my half mile long gravel roadway. I can now mow many areas I originally used it for with my finish cut mowers and just use a handheld brush cutter on the edges.