8237 On/Off Switch reversed

charm

Threads
I have an old 8237 that I am trying to keep running, and fixing up a little as I go along. The original on/off switch has been broken for years. I finally bought a replacement, part number 682514. I installed it today and it works, but on and off are reversed, i.e., on is off and off is on. I reversed the wire connections thinking it would be an easy fix, but it has the same problem. Any suggestions?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
I take it there is a sign on the mower somewhere showing on/off because I don't see one on the switch itself, can you remove the knob and put it back on the way it will show you on when its on...!

charm

Threads
"ON" and "OFF" are embedded/imprinted into the plastic motor cover, so it cannot be changed. Turning the knob 90 degrees counter-clockwise points the knob to ON (but it's really off), and turning it 90 degrees clockwise points it to OFF (but it's really on). If I even could move the knob, it could possibly then point toward nothing for on, and then turn it clockwise to OFF correctly. Surely there's a way to make it work correctly though. It's the correct replacement part number.

charm

Threads
IMG_7231.jpg

Here it's pointing to ON because it's really off.

Here's the part:

s-l1600 (1).jpgs-l1600.jpg

It only installs one way. The knob orientation is not going to make any difference. It's as if the switch internals are upside down.

Last edited:

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
"It's as if the switch internals are upside down."

so who is making them....!

charm

Threads
OMC, Outboard Marine Corporation

Russ2251

Threads
Some Lawn-Boy coils have to be shorted to run, while others are open to run. This may be the real issue.
Are you absolutely sure you have the correct switch?

charm

Threads
Thanks for that. Mine has to be open to run and shorted to kill.

The original part, 681656, was superceded by 104-4446. The latter is apparently the replacement part for 682514 as well. So maybe this is just the way the replacement is supposed to be; or maybe I looked something up wrong. I can live with it. It's better than it's been for years. Would just be nice to have it work properly, if able.

charm

Threads
Yes. Mine is the 681656, superceded by 104-4446