5 HP Briggs kickback

tband

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have 25 year old Craftsman rototiller with a 5 HP model # 133402 5 HP B&S that is driving me crazy. When I pull the rope out more than 12 inches it kicks back violently. If I can get it started with the short pulls it runs great. I pulled flywheel and the shear key is like new and there is no play. The gas shutoff works so there is no chance of hydro lock as I turn it off after each time. The engine has never been apart so all the components and the setting are original.
I talked to the local repair shop and they didn't have any other suggestions.
Has anyone else experienced this type of problem?
Thank You

Threads
Looks are deceiving when it comes to flywheel keys....... Some people look at it and they think its good but when they take the flywheel off then they see the issue....

Even if the key is sheared there still won't be any play ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

tband

Forum Newbie
Threads
Looks are deceiving when it comes to flywheel keys....... Some people look at it and they think its good but when they take the flywheel off then they see the issue....

Even if the key is sheared there still won't be any play ~!~!

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

As I said in my post I removed the flywheel and the key is like new so I think it is some other problem.
Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a subtle difference between a violent pull back & an abrupt stop with a recoil.
A violent pull back is always caused by the engine firing too early causing the engine to rotate backwards.

An abrupt stop is due to either a hydro lock or the decompression not working in which case the compression alone causes the engine to rotate backwards.

Now if your engine has not been touched in 25 years then original components will all be there, however none of the original settings will still be the same.
So as the timing key is intact the prime suspect is excessive valve lash defeating the decompression.

After that you are left with a defective timing chip in the coil

Threads
Oops I read the post toooo fast and thought you said you pulled the flywheel cover ........... Sorry bout that ~!~!

If it was here in front of me I could be more help....... I can't see with your eyes and feel with your hands.....

Let me think on this........... Hmmmmm............

Disconnect the belts or what ever is attached to the engine and try to start it....... If it still does it then the gas that is left in the carb is bypassing the valves in some way and causing a problem......... The intake is open and causing vacuum from the carb........

Or the gas from the carb is getting in the oil causing an over fill in the crankcase..... Try smelling the oil for possible gas in there..... Or tooo much on the dip stick........

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

Threads
Bert you and me were typing at the same time and I didn't see your post till I sent mine............

I forgot that he might have a newer engine with the OHV system...... That makes more sense to me now..... I am tooooo used of the older 130202 and 130252 engines.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami .............

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Bert you and me were typing at the same time and I didn't see your post till I sent mine............

I forgot that he might have a newer engine with the OHV system...... That makes more sense to me now..... I am tooooo used of the older 130202 and 130252 engines.......

Plus Tard Mon Ami .............

OHV or SV, they both have decomperssors and valve lash, it is just one of them is a lot harder to adjust than the other.
Am about to go out & do an old Powerbuilt SV right now.

Threads
Damn I just seen his model number and seen he has a L Head ......... Yes valves can be out on that also....

The old 5 HP Briggs I am used to working on do not have ACR's.........

I am curious as to why he has a kick back like that.... I think he is partailly hydro locked..........

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
All the ones I have done had that silly little hump on the exhaust cam lobe.