Blade removal

Dhamilton

Forum Newbie
Threads
I want to remove my blade to sharpen it but the spindle just turns.
How can I keep the spindle from turning?

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Yeah, block of wood if you don't have an impact wrench.

Bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Reviving an old thread. I have the same problem. I blocked the blade with a wooden block but when I try to break the nut loose, the spindle turns along with the pulley above the deck... I've sprayed with PB blaster, waiting for it to hopefully break the rust while I am writing this. I see no flat side on the spindle so that I could hold it in place with a wrench and stop it from spinning (as some circular saws have). The spindle has another nut at the opposite end (on top, on the other side of the deck) so I could use a wrench on that but there is a chance that the top nut (holding the pulley) will break loose instead of the blade side nut.

It is a Murray Select riding mower with a 42" deck (16.5HP). I bought it used and I don't have the manual for it. I would love to check if the nuts are fastened clockwise or counter clockwise but the tag under the seat is so faded that I can't make out the model number.

Does anyone have this information?
Any input is appreciated. Thank you!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Use a nut splitter and buy a new nut
If the blade is a riht hans cut then the blade will have a right hans nut so it self tightens in use, rather than self loosens in use
Then thread below the nut gets rusty & caked in dirt so start with doing it back up tight and cleaning the thread
The spindle pulls out from the bottom so you can pull it out with the blade still on then hold the spindle in a vice to attack the blade nut .

Bolts

Forum Newbie
Threads
Use a nut splitter and buy a new nut
If the blade is a riht hans cut then the blade will have a right hans nut so it self tightens in use, rather than self loosens in use
Then thread below the nut gets rusty & caked in dirt so start with doing it back up tight and cleaning the thread
The spindle pulls out from the bottom so you can pull it out with the blade still on then hold the spindle in a vice to attack the blade nut .
Thanks for the suggestions, Bert. I left it drenched in PB Blaster overnight and it broke loose with an impact driver the next day. It saved me the trouble of splitting and replacing the nut. Also, if anyone else has this model, I can confirm it tightens clockwise (looking from upward, from under it),