Looking for a kohler engine starter

veronica vasquez

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have a 08 Cub Cade Volunteer 4x4 UTV with a Kohler motor 20hp.
Recently I bought a new kohler starter online from Hexautoparts.
I found my starter sometimes starter and sometimes nothing.
I read many posts from this forum,some said the dead battery but the battery is new.
Some said bad battery cable connections but I have checked it's good.
I assume it's a bad solenoid.
Is it a simple fix ? Or just buy a new solenoid then put in ?
I am really confused and want to know how it goes.
PLEASE ADVICE.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Could be a solenoid problem, but could also be a safety switch problem, like a brake switch or a neutral start switch, or could even be something goofy with the key switch. You will need to narrow it down so you are not just throwing parts at it.

Threads
The only way to check connections is to take the cables off completely and take a brass wire tooth brush or a drill with a brass wire wheel and clean all the areas of connections.... That means ALL connections in the main starter and solenoid nut and bolt areas including the main GROUND black wire areas also........

I have lived in AZ. and I know there is no rust in the southern part of the state, but corrosion can happen and will happen from battery acid and just plain neglect on some people's part.....

A good cleaning won't take long and could save you money in the long run..........

Let us know Mon Amie ~!~!

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Its easy to check out a solenoid, just check to see if you have battery power on the big lead on it from the starter when you turn the key to start, if not its bad or you have bad switchers.

veronica vasquez

Forum Newbie
Threads
I live in AZ,too. I will check it this weekend.Your advice on cleaning is really helpful, I forgot it and keep in mind in future.
The only way to check connections is to take the cables off completely and take a brass wire tooth brush or a drill with a brass wire wheel and clean all the areas of connections.... That means ALL connections in the main starter and solenoid nut and bolt areas including the main GROUND black wire areas also........

I have lived in AZ. and I know there is no rust in the southern part of the state, but corrosion can happen and will happen from battery acid and just plain neglect on some people's part.....

A good cleaning won't take long and could save you money in the long run..........

Let us know Mon Amie ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
And just to find more work for you to do.
When you have finished and the mower is starting properly paint over all of the connections ( including the ground connections ) with a product called "liquid Electrical tape"
makes a water tight seal but is easily scraped off.
I use a lot of in down here ( when it rains )

Threads
I live in AZ,too. I will check it this weekend.Your advice on cleaning is really helpful, I forgot it and keep in mind in future.

Yep I know you live there in Az. I saw it on your Avatar......... I lived in Tucson for a couple years... The weather was great out there for ME.... No humidity and the winters were mild since there was no rain.... Down here in South Louisiana the wet winters are cold when it does get cold....... La. has warm winters also... One winter I just wore long sleeve shirts and no jackets.....

My job brought me there and when the economy crashed in 2009 and 2010 I moved back here in Cajun Country....

Plus Tard Mon Amie ~!~!