Fuel Line Install?

Berniebac

Threads
I removed the 14.5 HP Briggs and Stratton engine from my lawn tractor and when I pulled the engine I simply cut the fuel line off. I have the engine re-installed and went to connect the fuel line and I cannot get it to go over the nipple on the fuel filter.

I have one of those little round red fuel filters installed and have it attached in the fuel line on the carb side of the engine but I cannot get the fuel line over the nipple on the fuel tank side of the filter. I have to admit that it is in a tight spot at the side of the tractor but there is no way I can get it to slip on.

Are there any tricks to making the fuel line slip over the nipple on the filter?

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Put the end of the pipe in hot water for about 60 seconds then try...!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rubber grease, silicon spray

But really how about a new filer and some new fuel lines.
And while you are there. add a in line fuel tap on the tank side of everything so it will be easy to replace the filter is future

Berniebac

Threads
Put the end of the pipe in hot water for about 60 seconds then try...!

Thanks for that tip I will give it a try. I did do a search for "fuel line" and the only other tip I found was to make a small slit in the end of the line to get it started.

While reading thru 10 pages of search results I did find lots of interesting topics to read.

Berniebac

Threads
Rubber grease, silicon spray

But really how about a new filer and some new fuel lines.
And while you are there. add a in line fuel tap on the tank side of everything so it will be easy to replace the filter is future

These lines are only 3 - 4 years old and still look pretty good. I did install the inline fuel tap when I installed these new fuel lines. My local supplier want $9.99 for one of those small red filters and I am too cheap to pay that. I will look online to see what I can get them for before paying that. I the one I have was only 2.99 and it hasn't had a full tank go thru it yet.

But that is good advice anytime you have an engine out of the way.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Fair enough in that case.
Remember we only know what we are told.
Odd that the fuel lines are not soft enough to go over the filter
The usual problem is keeping them .
Under no circumstances put a slit in the tube a that will become a split in time.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
On most Briggs the fuel line fittings a 1/4 in. ID ... if you have the correct fittings on your engine and are using 1/4 in. fuel line it MIGHT be a wee bit of a struggle, but by no means worth $10.00 worth of cuss-words ! And those filters only cost me $3.29 at my local ACE Hardware store. !!

Berniebac

Threads
I didn't get a chance to try it on the weekend. Was at a local supplier today and picked up new fuel line, petcock and filter. I can probably make most of the connections in advance and hook it up when I get back to the lawn tractor.

Berniebac

Threads
The new fuel line was much easier to fit on the petcock, filter, gas tank and carberator. Everything went together much easier than the old line wanted to. I got it back together, started it up and mowed the yard for the first time this year. I think Bertsmobile1 suggestion for new lines was the simpler approach after all. For about $12 worth of parts it was the easiest way to get it back together. Thanks for all the suggestions even if I can't take advantage of them all.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is a lot of dodgy fuel line out there.
Every now & then I come across a mower where the owner has used either neoprene ( goes soft & sticky ) or PVC goes hard & shrinks.
Glad to hear you are out in the yard again.
If you feel like it put a match to the end of the old fuel line.
If it starts to burn it is most likely PVC.
If it is genuine Buytl rubber it should char & check.