Need help trouble shooting...

bartman9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I am at a loss here. Not great at engine repair, but fairly handy so I have tried a bunch of things. I have a Craftsman YT4000 riding lawn mower. It has a Brigss & Stratton 24 HP (724cc) Platinum Engine Series (model 4456772188G1).

We were having trouble with it just dying periodically and then it would be hard to start. It has been hard to start for a while. So I started with the basics:
- Changed oil and oil filter
- Added fuel stabilizer
- Changed fuel filter
- Changed spark plugs

This made no difference, so I ended off putting in a new fuel pump.
- This seems to have fixed the problem with it dying once it is running. But I was still having a hard time getting it started.

So, I decided to swap out the carburetor with a new one.
- I am still having trouble getting it started. I press the clutch, push the choke forward and turn the key. It tries to turn over, but takes a long time to get there. I will spend a minute or so trying to get this thing to turn over.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am shocked that all these parts I have swapped out haven't fixed the problem.

Dave

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Okay, I am at a loss here. Not great at engine repair, but fairly handy so I have tried a bunch of things. I have a Craftsman YT4000 riding lawn mower. It has a Brigss & Stratton 24 HP (724cc) Platinum Engine Series (model 4456772188G1).

We were having trouble with it just dying periodically and then it would be hard to start. It has been hard to start for a while. So I started with the basics:
- Changed oil and oil filter
- Added fuel stabilizer
- Changed fuel filter
- Changed spark plugs

This made no difference, so I ended off putting in a new fuel pump.
- This seems to have fixed the problem with it dying once it is running. But I was still having a hard time getting it started.

So, I decided to swap out the carburetor with a new one.
- I am still having trouble getting it started. I press the clutch, push the choke forward and turn the key. It tries to turn over, but takes a long time to get there. I will spend a minute or so trying to get this thing to turn over.

Any ideas or suggestions? I am shocked that all these parts I have swapped out haven't fixed the problem.

Dave

Adjust the valves.
You will find the inlet it too big which is defeating the decompressor.

bartman9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Adjust the valves.
You will find the inlet it too big which is defeating the decompressor.

As you suggested, I checked the valves but they were all set right around 0.004, which seems to be within spec. I did take a video of trying to start the mower. Hopefully that will help. It does eventually start, as you will see in the video. It just takes a long time to get it going.

EDIT: I guess I need 5 posts before posting the video... stay tuned.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks!
Dave

bartman9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, here is the video:

Again, I appreciate any other suggestions you might have.

Thanks!
Dave

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Dave, I haven't researched YOUR engine thus far, but .... if you don't have a manual choke set-up on the engine I would surely put one on it, its not really expensive, also, if you keep motoring that starter for such long periods without a cool-down period, you'll wind up needing a new starter, solenoid, or both. I have the P/Ns for the manual choke kit available if you decide to go that route. ..:thumbsup:

Found some info, might be helpful...

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_intek_v-twin_carb.asp ... ( there are 2 parts ..to this presentation )

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B6NaqjIxWV1ySkZjTTA5TGltZEE/edit

https://www.briggsandstratton.com/n...ualSearch.html?searchrequested=445677-2188-g1

Last item is where to get YOUR parts Manual

_choke_throttle_cables.JPG .......... pic of Manual Choke set-up

Last edited:

bartman9

Forum Newbie
Threads
It has a choke lever, that I push all the way up before starting. Is that what you mean by a manual choke?

deminin

Threads
It has a choke lever, that I push all the way up before starting. Is that what you mean by a manual choke?

That video sounds like the Choke may not be engaging....even though you push the lever all the way up. Follow the choke cable down to the front of the engine, and check the "travel" on the cable at full choke. Most of these engines have a small clamp that holds the cable in position, and it is not uncommon for the cable to shift, over time, and fail to fully engage the choke. On some of these mowers, you almost have to remove the hood, to really see and adjust the choke cable. If that is your problem, it can be fixed in just a minute, by loosening the clamp, and shifting the cable forward 1/4 inch, or so.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads

NO ....... I'm sure you probably have the AUTO-CHOKE model where you push the throttle lever full FORWARD ... the choke position,
(which may be out of adjustment) -- (as explained in a recent post) pulling back, to FULL throttle, then the idle position, A MANUAL is where you would drill a hole in the dash for a SEPARATE choke cable as shown in the pic I posted again, ie. a pull/push cable for the choke and remove old choke linkage, install new bracket, and a new choke linkage and attach the new choke cable, you would still use the old lever for throttle........ see pics below .....

choke1.jpg..CABLE.JPG.._choke_throttle_cables.JPG

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OTDP1XsE9c8 ....... click to open

bartman9

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, all that info actually helped a lot. Now playing around with the throttle (choke), I can see that it really wasn't doing anything. So I suspected I had the linkages setup wrong. Fortunately, I took a picture of it all before I replaced the carb and sure enough the choke linkage was on the wrong side. So it really wasn't doing anything. When I switched the linkage, the lawnmower started right up. Thanks so much for all your help!!

Dave

Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Okay, all that info actually helped a lot. Now playing around with the throttle (choke), I can see that it really wasn't doing anything. So I suspected I had the linkages setup wrong. Fortunately, I took a picture of it all before I replaced the card and sure enough the choke linkage was on the wrong side. So it really wasn't doing anything. When I switched the linkage, the lawnmower started right up. Thanks so much for all your help!!

Dave

I'll just bet you keep that CAMERA handy when you work on things ! ... a real worthy item !! ..:thumbsup:..:thumbsup: