Honda HRC216HXA

bd323

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have the above Honda Mower for 2 years. I know it its built well but I struggle getting a great cut. I often have mohawks of uncut grass that I have to cut twice or have to go slow as the mower bogs down when mulching full grass. I live in the NE and have tall fescue which is fertilized and watered and is gold course green. I often mower every 4 days to make it possible to get a good cut with no problems. I cut at 3.5" every cut.

Does anyone have a suggestions how to get more power out of the engine. For my Honda snow blower it was suggested to change the jet to the engine to wake up. Any suggestions is appreciated. I've yet to find any post about how to fix issue like not Honda blades.

Thanks

Brian

TonyPrin

Threads
Brian, welcome to the forum. I'm not certain what you mean by the last part of your post. At any rate, you have a powerful mower and doubt the issue is overall performance. Rather, I suspect the problem may be either a poorly sharpened blade or running the mower through the grass too fast as you suggest. It's not impossible for the blade to need sharpening monthly given your lawns condition and mowing frequency, particularly if it's a good size. I believe a good rule of thumb is to sharpen at least every 25 cutting hours.

jp1961

Threads
Hi Brian,

Check your valve clearance. A 4 stroke engine that doesn't have the valves opening completely will affect power also.

Regards

Jeff

bd323

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks I'll try to check the valves.

As for the last part of the post I was reaching for a suggestion to get more out of the mower. I have a snow blower and for example to get more power and wake up the machine a Honda 932 with Honda OHV engine it was suggested to go with a larger jet to get engine a little more fuel.

jp1961

Threads
I can't speak for gasoline engines (maybe a pro tech could chime in) but adjusting the valve clearance on a 4 stroke glow (model airplane) engine, makes a HUGE difference in power.

Regards

Jeff