Is this piston & head salvagable?

Threads
Thanks for that! I asked at the local mower shop, after I lost my exhaust gaskets and needed to replace and they confirmed what you said about the guide.
They also suggested that it's OK to run as it, but I may want to use a roloc disc and knock the high spots smoothish. Funny that the unexpected trip to the mower shop turned up the same info as this thread!

The mower was using oil, but I firmly believe it is because of the blown head gasket, so I'll see what happens after I wait for the muffler bolts that I broke to show up.

Here's a picture of the offender:

View attachment 37931

Thanks for all the attention to the thread and the great info!

The reason you got the same info on here as the shop is because a few of us own shops and do it for a living.....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Not unheard of for an engine to run for years with a carb screw in there.
What I did notice or rather did not notice is an cross hatching in the bore and without that the rings will not seal so it is going to blow some smoke.
How much will depend upon just how worn the bore is.

Last edited:

reynoldston

Lawn Pro
Threads
the Intake valve does get a seal, none on the Exhaust understandable probably because of heat. Also Parts Manual shows only the Intake seal.

The reason for the seal on the intake side is that there is vacuum under the valve and its there for oil burning control.