Simplicity ZT 16 44 runs and mows great for 30 Minutes the dies.

thood1954

Threads
  • / Simplicity ZT 16 44 runs and mows great for 30 Minutes the dies.
This zero turn mower I just got at an auction runs great for about 30 minutes. Then dies. I think its getting hot. Afterwards there is oil on top of the flat plate that says hot. After the mower is completely cooled it is ready to mow again.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would remove the engine cover & make sure there is no debris in & around the cylinder fins. From auction, no telling when that was last done.

Make sure the whole engine under that cover is clean.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
After you have cleaned everything up get an inline spark tester and a can of carb clean.

Next time it stops quickly take the cover off and check for a spark when cranking

If you have spark, loosen the fuel cap and try to start the engine

After that take the air filter off and give the carb a SMALL SHORT SHOT of carb cleaner and try to start.
If it fires right up you have a fuel supply problem.

Get back with what you found.

thood1954

Threads
I would remove the engine cover & make sure there is no debris in & around the cylinder fins. From auction, no telling when that was last done.

Make sure the whole engine under that cover is clean.
Wouldn't the cover tilt forward enough to do this without removing? It's a zero turn.

Lawn Addict
Threads
My Toro is ZTR as well, best inspection is by simply removing the engine blower housing. I don't understand about you saying tilting it forward ?

thood1954

Threads
My Toro is ZTR as well, best inspection is by simply removing the engine blower housing. I don't understand about you saying tilting it forward ?
Do you have a pic? I have no manual and don't know where the engine blower housing is located.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
1) Locate your model & serial number then go to toro.com and download the owners, parts & service manuals sor your mower.
No excuses cause they are free.
2) go to the engine makers web site and download the parts book for the engine.
Kawakasi have service manuals on line, Brige are all over the web, Kohler have them on their web site.
If it is a toro branded Loncin then you are out of luck.

The blower housing is the plastic bit on the top of the engine that tha a fan underneath it to blow cooling air o the engine, this it is called a blower housing in the USA, engine cowel in the UK or shroud down here.

thood1954

Threads
1) Locate your model & serial number then go to toro.com and download the owners, parts & service manuals sor your mower.
No excuses cause they are free.
2) go to the engine makers web site and download the parts book for the engine.
Kawakasi have service manuals on line, Brige are all over the web, Kohler have them on their web site.
If it is a toro branded Loncin then you are out of luck.

The blower housing is the plastic bit on the top of the engine that tha a fan underneath it to blow cooling air o the engine, this it is called a blower housing in the USA, engine cowel in the UK or shroud down here.
No results shown on Toro.com for my model number. Will see if I can clean out under that cover.

thood1954

Threads
No results shown on Toro.com for my model number. Will see if I can clean out under that cover.
Downloaded a Manual from a Simplicity page. Indeed, it suggests a clean out when the engine is running hot. Fingers crossed.

thood1954

Threads
Downloaded a Manual from a Simplicity page. Indeed, it suggests a clean out when the engine is running hot. Fingers crossed.
Popped off the round plastic cover. Now I'm looking at a large nut in the center and 4 other smaller ones around it. Or would I have to remove what appears to be a plastic cover which looks like it covers the whole top of the engine?