Repairs Advice on carburetor and air filter

chacham

Forum Newbie
Threads
A friend was looking at another friend's mower, which would not start. After smelling the gas and realizing that it must have sat for a while, he figured it was likely the carburetor and asked me about getting a new one. I asked him for more information, and i got the air filter and carburetor:
P1030129.jpgP1030130.jpg

Where can i get a replacement carburetor? And, does he need a new air filter?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Looks like the filter was NEVER changed, Personally, I would rebuild that carburetor ( see link below ) remove the fuel tank, super clean it out replace the fuel filter, fuel lines, and shut-off valve BEFORE installing rebuilt or new carb. no sense in putting dirt into a clean carb, get that far and post your results.....

http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/#id_briggs

Be sure to take pictures of carburetor linkages BEFORE removal, will save a headache during RE-install

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
Air filter part is 491588S. Definitely need a new one.

As for the carb, they're too expensive to replace. Rebuild it. Carb kit part # is K11-LMR, I'd also replace the float #75-570-1. Make sure that you install the new needle seat with the flat side facing the needle (groove side facing away from the needle. )

chacham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you the advice! I was suggesting replace because for my scooter (obviously different) it was only $20. So, i thought a smaller carburetor could be had on the cheap.

Does the rebuild come with a new gasket? This one doesn't look so good.P1030134.jpg

chacham

Forum Newbie
Threads
[I cannot post links yet, so i am providing them in parenthesis.]

Hey, just looking at costs. Please tell me if i am missing something or any other advice.

When i looked earlier, i did not see a gas line filter. I didn't look under the tank, but from where the gas line went into the carburetor, there was no obvious filter.

A new air filter (google: 491588S (shopping)) seems to be about $5. A carburetor kit (google: K11-LMR (shopping)) seems to be just under $5, with a float (google: 75-570-1 (shopping)) being another $3-$5. Though, i did not check into shipping. Conversely, a new carburetor on Amazon is $13 (amazon: B07BWKCFBN) or $14 (amazon: B0761V9TN3). Though, for $24 (amazon: B07D28PB7J) it would include a new air filter, fuel line, gasket, and spark plug. A lazy man's dream. :p

Okay, i know it's like why not just buy a new mower already, right? You don't want to waste your money! Here's what i am thinking. If a new air filter ($5), carburetor kit ($5), and float ($4) are about $14, and this is without the outer gasket (right?), and i still need to tell them to clean the fuel line. Also, will shipping be another $5? I figure i'm at $20 anyway. Or, if just the kit and float are $9 (let's even say no shipping), for an extra $4 it can be new. Nothing to mess up, right?

I know i am ignorant in these matters. I am asking for advice. I'm not the one paying and maybe not even doing the work (it matters how, um, convincing they are. :) ) so, i want to give them the options. They might be willing to spend an extra $4 to get it all new. With that said, please tell me what you think.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
I personally would stay away from the Chinese stuff on E-bay & Amazon, sometimes the generic parts don't fit and some are inferior quality, I deal with reputable suppliers of aftermarket parts, (see MY list below) yes I forgot those engine models don't have a fuel shutoff or filter installed, ( SORRY) I did install a filter on my Snapper mower with the same type engine, (a tight fit but do-able) look on the mower and post the MODEL numbers and also for it's model numbers, (should be on the engine shrouds ) post those numbers here, here is a pic of MY MOWER'S sticker

SNAPPER MOWER.JPG ....... just the mower NOT the engine ............ look on engine near spark-plug for engines numbers

List of suppliers of parts ... ( you need your engine model & type numbers )

(sjmparts.com) - (jackssmallengines.com) - (partstree.com) - (ereplacementparts.com) - (repairclinic.com)

I used the RED filter pictured in this chart..... FUEL FILTERS.JPG (click to enlarge)

primerbulb120

Threads
[I cannot post links yet, so i am providing them in parenthesis.]

Hey, just looking at costs. Please tell me if i am missing something or any other advice.

When i looked earlier, i did not see a gas line filter. I didn't look under the tank, but from where the gas line went into the carburetor, there was no obvious filter.

A new air filter (google: 491588S (shopping)) seems to be about $5. A carburetor kit (google: K11-LMR (shopping)) seems to be just under $5, with a float (google: 75-570-1 (shopping)) being another $3-$5. Though, i did not check into shipping. Conversely, a new carburetor on Amazon is $13 (amazon: B07BWKCFBN) or $14 (amazon: B0761V9TN3). Though, for $24 (amazon: B07D28PB7J) it would include a new air filter, fuel line, gasket, and spark plug. A lazy man's dream. :p

Okay, i know it's like why not just buy a new mower already, right? You don't want to waste your money! Here's what i am thinking. If a new air filter ($5), carburetor kit ($5), and float ($4) are about $14, and this is without the outer gasket (right?), and i still need to tell them to clean the fuel line. Also, will shipping be another $5? I figure i'm at $20 anyway. Or, if just the kit and float are $9 (let's even say no shipping), for an extra $4 it can be new. Nothing to mess up, right?

I know i am ignorant in these matters. I am asking for advice. I'm not the one paying and maybe not even doing the work (it matters how, um, convincing they are. :) ) so, i want to give them the options. They might be willing to spend an extra $4 to get it all new. With that said, please tell me what you think.

Yes, that gasket is shot. Part number 795629. You may have to buy two and stack them, as the air filter box may be warped.

Yes, you need to clean or replace the fuel line. If you replace it, just get some 1/4 fuel line from the local auto parts store.

Yes, there is a fuel filter, but you can't see it. It's in the tank just above where the fuel line connects. You can add an inline filter if you want, but I've never had issues with the in tank filter on the units I work on.

The new carburetors you're looking at are Chinese junk. They only work okay after swapping half the parts over from the old carburetor. Don't buy one. The mower will run more reliably with a rebuilt original carb.

If you get cheaper aftermarket parts, you will regret it. There are places where I will recommend aftermarket over OEM, but Briggs and Stratton fuel systems is not one of those. (Let me say here, Yes half the parts I told you to buy are Walbro, but Walbro made the carbs for Briggs and Stratton so they're still technically OEM.)

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Despite the fact that a lot of the new parts will have Made in China on them,
There is a difference in what you buy from a real parts store and what you get from a 100% on line retailer who may be nothing more than a single person monitoring an automated computer system who scours the web for cheap stuff they can make better than a 200% margin.
Because the profit margin in China are so small there is no such things as scrap.
There is top quality approved by Briggs , Kohler etc and there is not so good , rejected by Briggs, kohler etc.
The top quality gets put in a branded packet and sold
The not so good get put in a plain plastic bag & sold on the web cheap by a vendor who will vanish is a year or so.
I have had people coming in with net carbs that did not work only to be shown there was no hole in the main jet, or no hole in the emulsion tube, holes that ended up running into each other, flanges cut so rough that the gasket could not make an airtight seal etc etc etc.
So if it does not have a brand on it better than average chance it is a QC reject.

Threads
Chacham...... I agree with Bert all the way........ Why oh why does that carb look SOOOOO familiar LOL.... Please do not buy the cheap stuff..... I do have some advice for you and GOOD part numbers that are the true Briggs parts....

498260 is the Briggs number for your kit... Yes it does come with that gasket.... That goes on your air box first.. The air box has 2 pins on it and the gasket has 2 lil holes to line it up the right way...... If that gasket is not on there or torn in your case then the primer bulb is no use at all.....

You don't need a new float for your carb if yours is still good.... They are made from plastic and don't leak unless something bad happened ...... If your new seat is in all the way and your float is not level THEN you need a new float...

Here is a link to a video I made a couple days ago for your same carb, but mine has a choke on it so don' pay no mind to that part..... The video might help you out a lil.... I need to make a longer one for the whole rebuild later on............

Like I said that is the true Briggs number and I don't use anything else...... It comes with everything you need plus more......

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/mwUSZZFXAZs

chacham

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thank you everyone, i appreciate the replies. I am reading every one, and trying to follow through. I took some pictures and found some numbers: 125K07-0188-E1 05051857 The white stuff is paper towel keeping the holes plugged. If these are not the right numbers or pictures, please tell me again where to look.

P1030145.jpgP1030147.jpgP1030148.jpgP1030149.jpgP1030151.jpgP1030154.jpgP1030155.jpg