B&S Engine Model 407777-0167-E1 Oil Leak

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ilengine, Thank you. Ordered it off of Amazon. I will pick up a Fram at Walmart. I think this nipple needs a 'threadlocker' no? Any recommendation?

If this engine has an oil pump, that pump is buried somewhere inside of the engine case? And what is this 'chamber' all about that is giving me so much grief? Why wouldn't the engine have a filter mounted to begin with? I never saw an engine lacking an oil filter.

Oil pump runs off the camshaft. No oil filter because some OEM didn't want to pay for one.

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ilengine, Yes, I figured the pump was inside. Seems that without an oil filter, one would have to change the oil more often than if there were a filter. My engine is already 16 years old so I don't know whether adding a filter now will do much for me as far as engine life is concerned. But it does solve my problem of the cracked cover on that chamber. One thing I do know, is that the previous owner was pretty good at maintaining the machine. He was more than just a mechanic, restoring classic cars, etc. I am surprised that he did not add on a filter. I received the mower when I bought his property. In his workshop I found maintenance notes for like everything, from the home's oil burner to the woodchipper. So hopefully all this time and effort I am putting into this mower should be worthwhile. Again, I am thankful for the assistance you and this forum have given me. Guys like you, sharing their knowledge and experience is what makes the internet great.

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen, I received the nipple this evening, so I will be installing the oil filter tomorrow morning and getting back to work. I have about five acres to mow. I understand that one needs to put a little oil around the filter's gasket when mounting it. Question: is there a sealant that I might apply instead of oil? Something that gives the seal a bit more 'grip'? I suppose I am a little paranoid after having the sump empty out on me from this port in the past.

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Millions of oil filters are installed every day with just a light coat of oil on the gasket. Follow the instructions that come with the filter and you will be fine.

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Gentlemen, After installing the nipple and oil filter, cranked her up and all was fine. Not a drop nor a hint of any leak. I was able to mow for about two hours once the grass was dry from an overnight rain and before today's rain arrived. Gave her another good looking over before parking and all was perfect. Thanks to you guys.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Gentlemen, After installing the nipple and oil filter, cranked her up and all was fine. Not a drop nor a hint of any leak. I was able to mow for about two hours once the grass was dry from an overnight rain and before today's rain arrived. Gave her another good looking over before parking and all was perfect. Thanks to you guys.

WELLLL Don't be a stranger, our light is alway's on !! .. :thumbsup: