B&S Engine Model 407777-0167-E1 Oil Leak

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Craftsman LT1000 with B&S engine model 407777-0167-E1: This engine has no oil filter or oil pump. Instead, on the driver's side of the engine there is what appears to be a vacuum chamber that somehow fosters circulation of the oil. Its cover is cast alum or zinc or maybe even 'pot' metal. Cover is B&S Part #697474. O-ring is B&S Part #690589. O-ring (square profile) sits in recess in cover. Cover is 3" Dia. This poorly designed cover's center-mounted screw-post cracks easily and there is no replacement cover available anywhere on earth.

Recently, after I had opened this cover in my search for a filter to change, I had a difficult time closing it back up, and apparently not tightening it enough, the engine sprayed out nearly all of its oil from it. When I was cinching it up, the screw-post cracked on me. Have searched for hours online but there is no replacement cover available. I have attempted a repair of the screw-post-boss with JB Weld.

a] What torque value should be applied to close cover?
b] What particular tool should be used to cinch the cover?
c] What sealant might be applied to the o-ring to enhance sealing?

Attachments

• Cover inside 697474.JPG
    Cover inside 697474.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 12
  • B&S Engine Oil Chamber.JPG
    B&S Engine Oil Chamber.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 11
  • B&S Engine LT1000.JPG
    B&S Engine LT1000.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 12
  • B&S part #697474.JPG
    B&S part #697474.JPG
    36.4 KB · Views: 7
  • Craftsman LT1000 Driver Side.JPG
    Craftsman LT1000 Driver Side.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
The cover P/N is ... 697474, .. the O-Ring P/N is ... 697475 which comes up as "obsolete" BUT you can just buy a NPT nipple and screw it into the boss of the engine, and screw on an oil filter, (cross-reference,.. a FRAM # 3614 filter ) AND don't eat your WHEATIES before you screw in the nipple, so you dont crack the boss, oil filters screw on till filter hits the mount-surface THEN a SLIGHT snug-up !! (about a 3/4 turn )

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Boobala, thank you for responding. I am not a mechanic. The idea of attaching an oil filter seems interesting to me. I just want to iterate that this engine originally has no oil filter or pump. Actually, I do not even understand what this 'chamber' does. But I am willing to try anything to get back to work. So, if I understand correctly, your suggestion is that I discard the cover and instead attach npt adapting nipple to the threaded boss in that chamber and then attach an oil filter to that adapter. But what would serve to seal the chamber? I understand that the nipple adapter would close up the oil channel going through the screw post, but there is an additional channel going out from the side of this chamber. How can the end of the filter serve to seal that chamber? It previously leaked when it had its original cover and o-ring. Also, Fram filters have XG; PH, etc., versions- any particular one I should use?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Boobala, thank you for responding. I am not a mechanic. The idea of attaching an oil filter seems interesting to me. I just want to iterate that this engine originally has no oil filter or pump. Actually, I do not even understand what this 'chamber' does. But I am willing to try anything to get back to work. So, if I understand correctly, your suggestion is that I discard the cover and instead attach npt adapting nipple to the threaded boss in that chamber and then attach an oil filter to that adapter. But what would serve to seal the chamber? I understand that the nipple adapter would close up the oil channel going through the screw post, but there is an additional channel going out from the side of this chamber. How can the end of the filter serve to seal that chamber? It previously leaked when it had its original cover and o-ring. Also, Fram filters have XG; PH, etc., versions- any particular one I should use?

The nipple goes into the boss in the engine, the filter screws onto the nipple, (you'll have to measure for the nipple,..from ALMOST to the bottom of the boss, you want about 1 inch of nipple sticking out .. for the filter to screw onto, may take a lil trial and error .. PATIENCE ! then screw on the filter which has a built-in "gasket" ( rubber ) which you moisten with engine oil before installing, DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN the nipple ... VERY snug, ... you don't want it to come out WITH the filter when you replace the filter, install the filter as directed in earlier post, be sure the surface is smooth & CLEAN, the different versions of filter determines it's "supposed" life-span and filtering ability you can use another brand of filter that will cross reference to that number Fram, and can be shorter or longer depending on the clearance of your mowers hood when closed, the NIPPLE thread is usually ... 3/4 x 16 thread try a 3/4 x 16 x 1-1/2 or 2 not really expensive. keep us posted........

OH yeah.... you can probably get the nipple(s) at any local harware store ! National Pipe Thread ( NPT)

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Boobala, Ok. Understood. Seems to me an excellent idea and there appears to be plenty of space for the filter, which would be mounted horizontally. Thank you! You have really helped me out here.

Attachments

• LT1000 Driver Side View.JPG
    LT1000 Driver Side View.JPG
    47.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Craftsman LT1000 Driver Side.JPG
    Craftsman LT1000 Driver Side.JPG
    40.7 KB · Views: 9

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
690954 is the briggs part number for the nipple that screws into the sump (no measuring required) to install the filter. Your engine does have an oil pump but only lubes the bottom bearing at most and some just run the oil through the filter if it has one and then dumps in back into the sump.

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Ilengine, Thank you. Ordered it off of Amazon. I will pick up a Fram at Walmart. I think this nipple needs a 'threadlocker' no? Any recommendation?

If this engine has an oil pump, that pump is buried somewhere inside of the engine case? And what is this 'chamber' all about that is giving me so much grief? Why wouldn't the engine have a filter mounted to begin with? I never saw an engine lacking an oil filter.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Ilengine, Thank you. Ordered it off of Amazon. I will pick up a Fram at Walmart. I think this nipple needs a 'threadlocker' no? Any recommendation?

If this engine has an oil pump, that pump is buried somewhere inside of the engine case? And what is this 'chamber' all about that is giving me so much grief? Why wouldn't the engine have a filter mounted to begin with? I never saw an engine lacking an oil filter.

Threadlocker NOT needed, just snug the nipple really good but don't go banannas, its tapered pipe thread and you can crack the boss if overtightened, the higher end engines have more drilled passages through the engine, and are pressurized, I'll see if I can locate your Parts and Service manuals and post them later, that will give you a better understanding of what you are dealing with, engine wise.

EASY way to install nipple is install 2 - 3/4 x 16 nuts on end of the nipple jammed against each other, then remove them after installing the nipple, ( they HAVE to be thin so you may have to use a small grinder to make them as such, otherwise you wont get the nipple in to a proper depth.

Last edited:

aldenb

Forum Newbie
Threads
Boobala, Thank you! I had the parts manual download but I was never able to find any service or repair manual for this 16-year-old 20hp engine. I really appreciate the help, your time and attention.