John Deer with Briggs and Stratton 24 Hp

neophyte_lawn_guy

Forum Newbie
Threads
I bought this mower last year. JohnDeere L120 with a 48" mowing deck. The original engine was replaced with a B&S 24. In retrospect I paid too much for it, but it seemed like a good deal at the time. Since buying it, I've replaced the belt twice, till I wised up and replaced all three spindles on the mowing deck. That solved my belt shredding problem.

I went to use it the first time after sitting all winter and after the deck repair, and it started. But was running a bit rough and backfired a time or two. I got through about 70% of my lawn before impending rain made it impossible to continue. It then sat in the garage till last weekend. At that point I tried to start it up and got nothing. Starter turns, cranks, things spin, but no ignition. No sputter, no cough, nada. I pulled the plugs and they had gas but were a bit dirtier than I liked so swapped them out too. Even after that nothing happened when I turned the engine over. I was done for the day. Oh, and I also put a bit of heet in the tank in case there was water there.

I bought starting fluid, this morning, thinking that if I hit it with that and it caught, I would know that spark and compression where probably good. However, after a hit with the starter fluid, it started right up. I got through about 90% of the yard today, only to have the back left tire go bad on me. Spent the rest of the afternoon chasing down a new tire.

Perhaps the cold start that happens once the tire is fixed will go fine. but, I'm guessing that there's another problem there waiting to bite me. Anyone care to suggest a diagnosis on what might have caused it to not turn over at all, but now start fine after the application of the starter fluid? Oh and once it started today. I was able to start it on it's own several times with out any additional starter fluid.

Dirty carb? Or something else?

Tony

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
choke not closing fully.
Debris or water in the float bowl

Threads
Yes I agree with Bert..... Water will stay in the bottom until you get rid of it....... Heet is a joke... Try putting water in a jelly jar with the same amount of Heet in it, then soak a piece of starter rope in it for a while....

Then let the wick hang out and put a match to it and see what it does....

I need to make a video on a product that has been around a very long time.... K-100 is the name of it and I'm a dealer for it... It is great stuff.... I'll make a video maybe tomorrow and post it on here or just watch this video link ~!~~!

It is a remake of one that he made a while back ......... I guess the competitors saw the first video and said don't show our names or we will sue you ....

In no way shape or form I am trying to sell you on this product....... That Engine you have is a great engine and I'll bet you have the NIKKI carb on it..... A pain in the butt to get it off sometimes.... But me and Bert have been doing this type of work for quite a while.... So it's easy for us..... LOL....

The easiest way to get your issue solved is to take the carb off then take the bowl off and clean it..... You might can leave the carb on and take just the bowl off, then put it back on...... Air box / filter box taken off will give you better access to the bowl......

Do that then let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

https://youtu.be/kn4afJud9Qk

Threads
BTW please for your engines sake don't use starting fluid use a carb cleaner or just squirt gas in the carb.... Too many people have used that and messed up a good engine.......

Bert will agree.........

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
AND another thing ..... put MORE money in the collection plate when ya go to church on Sunday's, and don't forget to hold your mouth jus rite when-ever your starting a mower!..:laughing:..:laughing: