Flex Forks

retfr8flyr

Threads
Well I got my new flex forks in for my SD 48 and went to install them today. There is a bearing that goes on the base of the main shaft, that I thought would be a slide off type. It appears to be pressed on, as I couldn't remove it from the old shaft, without possibly damaging it. I found the part number and ordered 2 new ones and will get them pressed on, when they arrive. If anyone is contemplating this upgrade, it's another expense to add to the total cost. These thing are really heavy duty and i am looking forward to seeing how well they work but now I have to wait for the bearings to arrive.

mhavanti

Threads
What's the old adage? "It's always something!"

Hope they do a fine job for you. My flex forks still have not arrived. They are now 7 days overdue from the outside delivery date. I'll be going thru the same thing soon. I'll shoot a video for all those that are contemplating their own installation of the Raptor Flex Forks.

Hope it turns out alright and someone gets a bit of encouragement to give it a shot.

Thanks Earl!

Max

retfr8flyr

Threads
Thanks Max, I hope your forks arrive soon. I am sill amazed at how much of a difference the spring seat makes, if the forks only work 1/4 as well, they will still be worth the trouble.

mhavanti

Threads
I've sat with a pencil and pad designing a rear suspension for mine. That will be one of the very last things the Raptor receives. It is coming though.

retfr8flyr

Threads
Well I finally got my flex forks installed and tried them out. I am a happy camper!! They don't make as big of a difference as the spring seat platform but they do a nice job dampening out the sharp bumps. like tree roots. With both of them installed, I can now cut the yard with much less pain. I think the expense has been well worth it for me, others may think differently. If you have back pain, or just want a smoother ride, I highly recommend the flex forks and the spring seat adapter from Seat Warehouse.

mhavanti

Threads
Earl,

Have mine on the mower. However, they aren't torque'd into place as of yet due to wet paint. I know, wait two days for the pain to dry. I'm not good at watching paint dry.

Here is what mine look like after lightly sanding and painting before installation.

I know, not the same color. I was not about to pay 25 bucks for one can of spray paint. Tell me what ya think. I know I can count on Ronno's opinion! lol

I have contacted a couple of paint suppliers about filling 5 cases of 16 oz cans of Hustler duplicated colors with my name on them in order to help you and myself color match our Hustlers.

Hopefully we can get a price down to help with shipping. Somewhere around 5 bucks a can and looks like shipping is going to cost as much as a can of paint. Ludicrous.

Max

DSC05005.jpgDSC05006.jpg

gene_stl

Threads
Good information. Could one of you clarify about the flex fork bearing situation.
I had some very serious tree service on my pretty large lot and the ground was pretty soft and now mowing really aggravates my back.
I wanted to order the front fork set when I ordered the mower but apparently you can't do that or at least my dealer wouldn't. I think he was only interested in selling his current inventory which is understandable. But you hate to have and extra set of forks sitting there for eternity.

This one:??
https://seat-warehouse.com/product/...-bad-boygravelydeeretoroscaghustlerexmark-ff/

Looks like a four bolt installation. Any tricks to it?

LeakyGasket

Threads
As far as the flex forks, I am confused by the bearing problem. I put a set on my Fastrak, and I didn't encounter a pressed bearing on the shaft. Maybe they are different between models.

mhavanti

Threads
Thought I'd dispelled the pressed bearing thing. The bearings are NOT pressed. They are slip fit over the fork stem. However, they are tight fit into the fork mounting. Earl's bearings should have stayed with the mower and allowed the forks to drop free unless there was rust holding the stems into the bearings on both sides.

Sorry for any confusion.

Max

BoylermanCT

Threads
Good information. Could one of you clarify about the flex fork bearing situation.
I had some very serious tree service on my pretty large lot and the ground was pretty soft and now mowing really aggravates my back.
I wanted to order the front fork set when I ordered the mower but apparently you can't do that or at least my dealer wouldn't. I think he was only interested in selling his current inventory which is understandable.

I ordered the flex forks when I bought my mower, and had the dealer install them at no charge as part of the "prep" on the mower.