Repairs Super Sleuthing Needed to ID Mystery Part

etmassey04

Forum Newbie
Threads
Greetings everyone,

New member here. I searched the vast wilds of the Internet for a solution to this problem, which eventually led me here. I’m hoping someone can help with a 1996 Yard Man 136A694F401, which I inherited.

At the end of the 2017 season, I was mowing with this tractor when I turned down a slight incline near a roadside ditch. A brief puff of smoke emanated from the outlined part in the attached image. The engine immediately died. Upon trying to restart, the engine almost turns over, but can’t quite make it.

I located a schematic diagram of the engine and its surrounding parts, but I couldn’t match the culprit outlined here. Could someone please identify this part, so I could order a replacement?

A hearty round of thanks in advance!:smile:

Attachments

• YardMan.jpg
    YardMan.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 16

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
It's your carburetor fuel shut-off solenoid, OEM part, will go about $50.00 - $70.00 AVOID the Chinese junk models .

Did it just unscew it self from vibration ?? or is it broken off ??

I believe this is what we're talking about.......

https://www.partstree.com/parts/briggs-and-stratton/parts/699915/

This is but one place it's available you can find many others

Last edited:

etmassey04

Forum Newbie
Threads
That is indeed it! Thank you very much, kind sir.

To answer your question, it didn't unscrew itself. The tractor is over 22 years old and wasn't well maintained. Maybe the solenoid is just shot. I'll test it first before ordering an OEM part.

Thanks again!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You need a thin 1/2 spanner to remove the solenoid.
Pull it out of the carb then turn the ignition on & off a few times.
You should see the plunger in the middle go in (turned on ) & out ( turned off ) if it is in working order.
Very are for them to go bad other than jambing up cause they get full of water & crud.

It is part of the engine so will be on the engine break down but not the mower break down.

etmassey04

Forum Newbie
Threads
You need a thin 1/2 spanner to remove the solenoid.
Pull it out of the carb then turn the ignition on & off a few times.
You should see the plunger in the middle go in (turned on ) & out ( turned off ) if it is in working order.
Very are for them to go bad other than jambing up cause they get full of water & crud.

It is part of the engine so will be on the engine break down but not the mower break down.

Thanks for the advice! :thumbsup:

I searched for a few videos on checking and removing the bugger. Like you, I feel it needs cleaning. It may also be the electrical supply going to the solenoid. I'll try it all. I have another tractor, but I hate to admit defeat and simply junk this one without a fight.