Help identify a missing bolt on a Raptor SD 54

JPR

Threads
After breaking a drive belt, we went to figure out how to replace the belt. We noticed this bolt missing from the bracket next to the clutch. I tried making sense of the the part drawings, but I can't find this bolt or even what that bracket is called. I'm guessing when this bolt fell out (we can't find it), it broke the belt. I figure if there are supposed to be 2, then I better put one back in... although it seems to be driving fine without it.

Missing Bolt.jpg

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
The missing bolt should be the same has the one that's still on there....! take that one out and find and a replacement.

JPR

Threads
I was hoping to just order the exact part number from Hustler. I don't like to guess on metal strength and things like that. If needed though, I will end up doing as you suggest. Taking out the other one and see if the hardware store can match it up. -Thanks

Threads
JPR if you have a Tractor Supply in your area or Road King then go there they have grade 5 and grade 8 bolts... I would imagine that the bolt that came with it is grade 5...........

JPR

Threads
Good advice from both you guys. I appreciate it!

bradmc

Threads
The parts manual only shows there being one bolt used even though there are two holes. But it sure looks like you had a second one in there based on the wear marks.

Either way, the manual says that's a 3/8 x 1 inch grade 5 bolt.

Kremeneon

Threads
That bracket is called the clutch anchor. My SD54 has two bolts in there, one goes to a nut on top of the plate, the other goes into the engine block. I don't recall if they are the same or not.

mhavanti

Threads
The bolt head in the photo is a grade five. Sold thousands and thousands of pounds of bolts back in the day. Whenever you have an opportunity, replace a five with an eight and remember you can over torque the receiving threads in the block very easily with both a five and an eight. Proceed with caution when tightening into aluminum.

Also, when placing a steel part into an aluminum part, use anti-seize on the threads. Usually a 3/8 - 16 thread bolt would be 35 Ft # torque. Going into the block, I would consider pulling it back to 30 ft. # with anti-seize on the threads of the bolt before screwing it in.

If it the missing bolt is going into a steel nut, give it 35 ft # with blue locktite is a good idea.

Good luck,

Max