Kohler not charging battery

Weezer7211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all,

I have a kohler CV15S/41525 engine that seems to not be charging my battery. I believe the stator has something to do with it.

I will charge up the battery manually, and the mower will die, and not start back up.

The added problem with this is that there isn't a diode, or regulator/rectifier in this model. I don't understand how it would be safe to charge my battery if everything was fine.

When I charge up the battery, and hook everything back up, the stator starts to smoke, and I know that's not normal.

I'm not sure where to go from here, or what parts i need. All parts diagrams for this model do not have a regulator/rectifier listed, and same for a diode.

Any advice would be great,

Thanks!

Weezer7211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Rivets,

Thank you for the quick response!

I am not seeing a diode in the stator wires at all, my stator wires go to a connector that crosses over from black (charging wire) to red (charging wire, and past that, there isn't a diode in sight :[

Rivets

Lawn Royalty
Threads
You will not see the diode, as it is covered with shrink tubing and possibly under the flywheel.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
This should help you find it......

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.jpg
    Screenshot_1.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 45

Weezer7211

Forum Newbie
Threads
Awesome guys,

Thank you so much, I will check it out tonight and let you know!

midlander

Forum Newbie
Threads
The diode should be in the black wire connection and is under the protective tubing as someone else indicated. If you unplug the connection you can check the diode with a voltmeter in either diode check mode or ohm mode. You should get a reading one way, but not the other way. If open in both directions or shorted in both directions, the diode is bad, but if your stator is smoking then I would guess you have stator windings shorted and you will need to replace the stator (which will include the diode). BTW, you can download the service manual from Kohler and it includes a troubleshooting chart for both models with the 3amp non-regulated charging setup like you have (which I also have and dislike), and models that have a separate rectifier which is very easy to replace.

Last edited: