Ryobi weedwacker RY5002 wont start any ideas?

Turbosaurus

Threads
It stopped working a while ago, so its just been hanging out in the garage until today (I emptied the gas tank when I realized it was not working knowing it could take a while before I got to it) and I pulled the spark plug.

Today I replaced the plug with a new one, gapped properly. cleaned the carb, reassembled and refilled with fresh fuel oil mix. And nothing.

It will start if I spray starter fluid into the carb, but it only runs for a second or two. I don't think its a clog in the fuel lines, becasue the priming bulb fills fight away, and there are no leaks. Any ideas?

Could there have been corrosion on the contacts for the spark plug considering one hasn't been installed for probably a year?

maybe its time to rebuild carb and replace the seals? I checked fuel lines, no clogs,
I also noticed the muffler assembly is gone (my brother who is an absolute ace mechanic- WHEN you can get him to work a job all the way to the end...) could that be part of hte problem- I can see right into the piston chamber)

Last edited:
Threads
What does the piston look like ?? Is it nice and smooth or is there any scoring on it ???? Can you press on the ring/ will the ring move just a lil bit....

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
If it starts on some fluid down the carb and you can keep it running by giving it VERY SHORT SHOTS of fluid down the carb for a minute or so then the problem is it is not getting fuel.
Cube carbs are notoriously difficult to clean.
Also any time you open one you should replace all the gaskets.

SO your machine has one of two problems.
Pressure in the fuel tank or fuel through the carb.

It can be the carb blocked, a check valve in the carb gummed up, fuel pump not working, impulse line leaking
between the metering chamber & the main jet there is a filter that can clog.
Just because fuel is coming out of the primer does not mean that fuel is flowing through the carb.

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
Start by having the carb cleaned, then if it starts replace the muffler.

Turbosaurus

Threads
The problem with the muffler is they don't make it anymore- "obsolete" and no replacement/substitution is available. I've looked everywhere... so is that going to be a deal breaker? Make it not worth try to get it running?

The piston does appear to have a very very slight amount of vertical smears I can see that are shinnier than others. It doesn't appear to have any depth, it just looks like streaks- like doing a bad job washing windows. There is a tiny bit of wiggle in the rings. There's no resistance when I pull the cord.

It won't run long enough for me to try the short-bursts of carb cleaner- I get my hand off the pull cord, get the bottle of cab cleaner lined up before it stalls. (I wish I had a work bench w a vice) It literally fires for a second or two then stalls out.

So, without having that test completed, can you give me an opinion about replacing the carb and fuel lines/filters as a likely cause? I did clean the carb the best I could, giving it a good soak and using pipe cleaners and 18 gauge jewelry wire. I know I should replace the paper seals, but the old ones are in decent condition, so I gave them a gentle clean with a tooth brush and carb cleaner than replaced them. I figured if I could get it to run a little then I'd replace the whole kit an caboodle, but If I'm getting nearly nothing is it worth investing more time to find and order parts and install if we can't be reasonably confident its ever gonna run?

I guess my next step is to pull the fuel filter, since I have replacement gas line and a spare filter on hand. I'm already filthy, and the tools are on the picnic table- I might as well keep trying for now while you guys think about it and let me know...

Thank you for all your help so far.

Turbosaurus

Threads
Turns out my fuel line OD is too small- so we're putting this to rest while I get replacements...
Damn you amazon for making it so easy- $6 here, $15 there and the next thing you know I'm in the hole $80 on carbs, caps, lines etc.. :confused2:

Threads
If it runs at a high throttle then there is nothing wrong with your muffler......You can take it off and then punch holes inside of the mesh or if it has a tube arrester then you can clean it up well and be in great shape.......

I might have a muffler in my inventory.... Used of course... Post a couple pics of it on your unit and post them ......... I'll see if I have a match to yours.........

Turbosaurus

Threads
It was the fuel filter/lines- I replaced them and we're running
I thought how smart I was running a line to backwash the old fuel filter with pressurized carb cleaner- NO DICE

Okay, okay, no cutting corners- it needed a new filter and new lines - my father is rolling over in his grave "I TOLD HER TO DO IT RIGHT- I don't know where she got this idea she could backwash a crap filter"

so now, is it time to buy me a muffler for my working weedwacker.

Primerbulb120- Its crazy that you found that, because the weedwacker I tuned up for my neighbor was exactly the same model- an ancient homelite 52002 (4A?) and I noticed it looked similar-
so I pulled out my caliper and checked the exhaust on all 4 of the strimmers - all 4 had the exact same exhaust opening length, height, and center-to-center bolt spread. (horray for Honda)

The craftsman muffler exhausts downward and wont fit inside the plastic housing, but the homelite fits perfectly, as does the newer ryobi.

Now that I've got it to run ... I'm thinking muffler my tuchus! Waking up everyone in 1/4 a mile vs 3/8ths... AM I missing the point? Becasue frankly, my neighborhood is 1/8 acre lots- anyone far enough away that it would count isn't gonna be the 1st 2nd or 3rd call if I need to borrow a cup of sugar.

Does the engine need a muffler? for the engine? I get the filters on the intake- but the exhaust is high pressure out by definition

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
For an engine to work right they need a muffler,.....so yes