1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.

lamrith

Threads
  • / 1st time ZT shopper some guidance on models to consider.
My dealer swapped out the seat on my Bob-Cat with the suspension seat from a more expensive unit for $250. Don't know if that's an option as far as fit in your case. If not there are after market suspension platforms (bases) available for many mower seats.

I'm in Connecticut nearby you, mow 30 lawns commercially and rarely bag. With the speed and agility of a Zero-Turn mower it's pretty quick to do a second pass on areas with heavy accumulations of clippings to chop them up and disperse them and get the same appearance as bagging. Granted, this time of year does have me bagging some of my high-end lawns.

I really appreciate that info. Here in WA in 6 days time I have spots in the yard that have grown 6", just crazy time of the year out here. But hitting some spots again could be a good solution for these bad times of the year. Also mowing 2x a week maybe will counter it this time of year. Honestly bagging is also a problem as much as it is needed this time of year as it can be so heavy it clogs the chute. Damned if you do, damned if you don't I guess! I have a strong feeling though that the tip speed on these new mowers is so high that clogging and even dispersion of grass is not an issue like I am having with it now and like you I may not need to bag.

I will see about the seat options as well.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Oh, western WA, I read western MA somehow, lol.

You're right about the new mowers and not clogging and Scags handle tall damp/wet grass better than most. Here's a Liberty cutting tall wet grass. I do see some clumps but not bad at all. I think I would have raised the deck up a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXnDZvw8MQ

One thing to consider is that the Scag rear bagger is around $1,600! Seems pretty high for a non-powered rear bagger. There's always an option of a side catcher but then you have crap blowing in your face.

lamrith

Threads
Oh, western WA, I read western MA somehow, lol.

You're right about the new mowers and not clogging and Scags handle tall damp/wet grass better than most. Here's a Liberty cutting tall wet grass. I do see some clumps but not bad at all. I think I would have raised the deck up a bit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MvXnDZvw8MQ

One thing to consider is that the Scag rear bagger is around $1,600! Seems pretty high for a non-powered rear bagger. There's always an option of a side catcher but then you have crap blowing in your face.

Yeah that is crazy spendy for a non powered bagger. Thanks for the video, that scag handled it just fine. My entire lawn is that long right now after a week, with many sections even taller. I measured 10" a few min ago.

What are peoples thougths on ROP vs no ROP? I like the idea but I also have trees that hang down and I have to get under, so that could be a problem if I have ROP and it some standard on a few units.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
As far as a ROPS goes, whether a machine gets one is based on the manufacturer and the size and weight of the machine. The next model up, the Freedom Z gets one but it doesn't fold down. So you're tooling along and forget about it, hit a low limb and it can actually cause the machine to flip. Basically they can be a hazard themselves.

Z mowers have a low center of gravity and are generally very stable and not prone to roll over. Generally the rear will slide out when traversing a side slope that is too steep. In general, where people get into trouble with them is mowing too close to the edge of a pond and having a back wheel drop into a hole or doing a backflip. A backflip can occur if you are trying to go up a steep hill and the tires are spinning and then suddenly get traction or if the machine slides backwards and then hits a solid object.

I don't have a ROPS on either of my Z mowers and don't feel I need them. But I don't opearate them on dicey slopes...i use a walk-behind mower for that. My compact utility tractor on the other hand has a high center of gravity, is very tippy side-to-side and I wouldnt feel comfortable operating if without one.

So to the OP, I think having a level lot it is unlikely that you would ever roll/flip your machine and having trees, a ROPS would probably be more of a hindrance and hazard. The dealer could maybe (probably?) add the one for the Freedom Z for you but that one doesn't fold down.

Last edited:

lamrith

Threads
As far as a ROPS goes, whether a machine gets one is based on the manufacturer and the size and weight of the machine. The next model up, the Freedom Z gets one but it doesn't fold down. So you're tooling along and forget about it, hit a low limb and it can actually cause the machine to flip. Basically they can be a hazard themselves.

Z mowers have a low center of gravity and are generally very stable and not prone to roll over. Generally the rear will slide out when traversing a side slope that is too steep. In general, where people get into trouble with them is mowing too close to the edge of a pond and having a back wheel drop into a hole or doing a backflip. A backflip can occur if you are trying to go up a steep hill and the tires are spinning and then suddenly get traction or if the machine slides backwards and then hits a solid object.

I don't have a ROPS on either of my Z mowers and don't feel I need them. But I don't opearate them on dicey slopes...i use a walk-behind mower for that. My compact utility tractor on the other hand has a high center of gravity, is very tippy side-to-side and I wouldnt feel comfortable operating if without one.

So to the OP, I think having a level lot it is unlikely that you would ever roll/flip your machine and having trees, a ROPS would probably be more of a hindrance and hazard. The dealer could maybe (probably?) add the one for the Freedom Z for you but that one doesn't fold down.

Thanks Darryl! Your information is very helpful as usual.

Found out I also have a Badboy dealer, 12miles away.

BoylermanCT

Threads
Thanks Darryl! Your information is very helpful as usual.

Found out I also have a Badboy dealer, 12miles away.

I liked the looks, features and price of Bad Boy, but when I checked, they have a very short 2 year warranty. As I recall, the Scag Liberty is 5 year. Bobcat is 6 on the XRZ model. 2 years is not really competitive. Last think I wanted was a repair bill while I was still paying it off!

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Note on the Liberty rear bagger: Includes a front counter-weight system for machine balance. Something that's usually needed on Z mowers that isn't on lawn tractors with the engine up front.

lamrith

Threads
I just noticed the Ferris F400S MSRP is supposed to be just over the top of my desired budget, hrmmm....

I liked the looks, features and price of Bad Boy, but when I checked, they have a very short 2 year warranty. As I recall, the Scag Liberty is 5 year. Bobcat is 6 on the XRZ model. 2 years is not really competitive. Last think I wanted was a repair bill while I was still paying it off!

Great point, I had not noticed the warranty because most of them have been 4yrs or more.

Lawn Addict
Threads
I would avoid idling a Z around, that is hard on the hydros.

As to the deck washout, I'll never use the one on mine, last thing I want on hot spindles is cold water..

I've never used water at all on my Z in almost 4 years of owing it. And I never will, I use a 4" wide putty knife, simple & fast clean out.

lamrith

Threads
Spent more time looking and research yesterday with all of your help and am really thinking the Ferris 400S might be a perfect fit.

Then I looked up the local dealer. It is a pair of local ACE Hardware franchise stores. No big deal, Ace is little more personal than the big box stores, then I looked them up on google maps. 99% sure they store all of their equipment outside uncovered year round. :-/ I am betting anything in for repair as well, as they only have so big a shop area and new units alone would fill it from what I see. Pretty disappointing honestly as it rains 9 months of year out here.

Good news I guess is that I just called the closest one and they just got their 1st one in, Kawasaki motor, $4499, not even uncrated yet, so it has not been out in rain. However if I bring it in for warranty/repair it will be sitting outside after I have spent $4500+tax and always stored it inside... Neither location has a great area to ride or try one out in, they are right in the middle of city/urban sprawl. But he said I could ride in their small lot and on the back street behind them and it looks a little rough so I can see how the suspension works which with my land is probably the most important thing.