Repairs Riding Mower Only Full Throttle

Ataride

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hello all

I received an older model rear engine riding mower that I'm trying to get back into service. I think the year model is around 1999-2000 it's a 10 hp 30" Tecumseh engine. The model I found on the engine is 143.011004

When I got the mower the owner said it had a new carb but it never worked right. No mater what position the throttle lever is it always is at full throttle. I've tried playing with the linkage location but nothing seems to help. It does seem to run fine though. Is there any diagrams available of the proper location of the linkage arm and springs?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: I know the choke cable is missing in the pic.

Attachments

• KIMG0259.jpg
    KIMG0259.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Threads
To me it looks like your carb is in the right link hole.....

Boo is the linkage link guy on here... LOL If this would be a Briggs Engine I could tell you more....

More Briggs down here in Louisiana than any other engine...... Kawis are getting more popular in the last 4 or 5 years on the EX Mark zero turns.......

I do work on them for a few friends of mine also.....

My shop gets the older Techumseh engines on Jennies and such ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The lever with all the holes in it should be connected to the governor.
When you pull the lever to close the throttle with the engine turned off , it should spring back to open the throttle fully.
When the engine is running if you push it to open the throttle it should spring back to close the throttle and maintain 3600

According to the L head manual, the carb is hooked up correctly so that only leaves the governor.
Like Beau I have never worked on on of these engines so do not know exactly what the governor looks like and how to set it.

According to the cross refference charts 143.011004 ( Craftsman number ) is the code for a TVM220-157285H Tecumseh engine
SO the manual for your engine is
TECUMSEH-SERVICE--REPAIR-MANUAL-3HP-TO-11HP-4-CYCLE-L-HEAD-FLAT-HEAD-ENGINES-69250..>
found on this page http://www.mymowerparts.com/pdf/Tecumseh-Service-and-Repair-Manuals/

Without the engine sitting in front of me the manual makes little sense, but as it is free you may as well download it
The parts breakdown is here
https://az417944.vo.msecnd.net/diagrams/manufacturer/tecumseh/4-cycle-vertical/tvm220/tvm220-157285h/engine-parts-list-1/diagram.gif

In the diagram shaft # 15 should rotate in a clockwise direction as the engine increases speed to slow it down to the desired speed.
As such at stand still the shaft should be as far counter clockwise as it can go and the lever part No # 16 should be holding the throttle butterfly full open.
It looks like it is adjusted via the clamp, part no 17 & 35.
Note the diagram shows the original governor arm and the engine you have has a universal governor shaft with multiple holes for changing the governed speed.

If the shaft # 15 does not move after you have adjusted it then chances are the governor is broken inside the engine.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Tecumseh made a GUZZILLION carbs, and a TWICE as many linkage set-ups .. A ROYAL KING-SIZE PITA !!

I scrounged through my Tecumseh files and came up with this Manual that MIGHT ... help, too bad Tecumseh didn't print the diagrams AND details of ALL their linkages .. &^%$$$#@#$&^^%$##@ !!!

http://www.barrettsmallengine.com/manual/tecumsehreference.pdf .... start at Page 20

Ataride

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks guys for the info, it's pointed me in the right direction. I'm not too familiar with working on small engines so I think I got mixed up on what it was doing. The governor does seem to be working, it pulls the throttle back when it starts. The problem was the low speed was set to high on the carburetor causing it to rev up too much. I adjusted that big screw on the top of the carb and now the engine responds to the throttle position when i have it set to high or low and seems to be maintaining rpm's as far as my ear can tell. I may need to tune it a little more as it has a good kick to it when i let off the brake in 1st but need to get some front tires and a new air filter fist before I try it out more.

It says I can't post a link yet but when I can I want to add a youtube video I found of a mower with the same linkage setup that I was able to check mine against. It may help others that have this problem in the future.

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
Thanks guys for the info, it's pointed me in the right direction. I'm not too familiar with working on small engines so I think I got mixed up on what it was doing. The governor does seem to be working, it pulls the throttle back when it starts. The problem was the low speed was set to high on the carburetor causing it to rev up too much. I adjusted that big screw on the top of the carb and now the engine responds to the throttle position when i have it set to high or low and seems to be maintaining rpm's as far as my ear can tell. I may need to tune it a little more as it has a good kick to it when i let off the brake in 1st but need to get some front tires and a new air filter fist before I try it out more.

It says I can't post a link yet but when I can I want to add a youtube video I found of a mower with the same linkage setup that I was able to check mine against. It may help others that have this problem in the future.

That would be MUCH appreciated .. :thumbsup:

Threads
Ataride all you have do is give us your You Tube channel name and we can see your video......

Mine is Boo Luquette Example..... So no link is needed for that.... I want to see what you got... I like the Techumseh engines though and have worked on quite a few of them in my lifetime. but I can't see what you have there in that small picture ..........

Ataride

Forum Newbie
Threads
This is the youtube vid I found. It's not my video. The mower is almost the same except his looks a little older and his choke is on the throttle linkage whereas mine is separate knob. Governor setup is the same. I've never used a Tecumseh before but it seems to run good so far once the kinks are out of it. Will know more once i can cut with it. I noticed his is a Murry whereas mine is a craftsman. I'm guessing they sold the same mower under both brands at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyr1ajVmNrE