mower just quit

marc4fishing

Forum Newbie
Threads
So I changed my oil and filter this morning, and proceeded to mow. I got maybe a 1/4 acre done and all of a sudden got high vibes then it stalled out..I was mowing some high weeds but nothing crazy. When I tried to restart I still have a high vibration thing going on but it cranks over fine...just Zero combustion. I checked the oil level and its still good ...and suggestions O year its a JD L110 with the Kohler 17.5 hp motor

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
Can you provide us with the model number of the engine so we can see which 17.5 hp engine you have.

marc4fishing

Forum Newbie
Threads
The model number is CV491s. Is it possible that the seat safety switch would keep the fuel from making it to the engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
NO.
If you want good information & sound help from here, forget watching idiot morons on U-Tube.
If there is good one that id factually correct worth watching to help you we will direct you to it.
99.99% of the mower repair stuff on the web it trash posted by attention seeking morons with absolutely no idea of what they are talking about.

The seat switch is an important safety device and is the only device that actually does a good job of protecting both the operator but also bystanders.
In the 5 years I have been repairing mowers for a living I am yet to come across a problem that was actually caused by the seat switch.

The brake switch is the one that most commonly causes problems, but that is not right there in front of you face and you need an IQ above 3 to be able to find it thus no U-Tuber "experts" lapping their gums and showing you have to disconnect it.

For your information, the seat switch grounds out the magneto ( the sparks ) and very rarely causes running problems unless you are bouncing across rough ground.
Only a very small number of mowers have it in the cranking circuit so it is almost never the cause of a no-start problem yet if you go on the web, it is the cause of every problem any mower ever had, cause it is right there in front of your face and easy to see.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
High vibes says something inside the engine let go.
or
Some thing on the deck let go

So now it is a case of checking things, starting with the blades, then the belts, then the engine.

Do not just sit there cranking the engine over & over as if it is an internal engine problem you will do more & more damage.

marc4fishing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Things me and the neighbor have figured out so far...it seems to be on the fuel side...either the pump or the carb...after cranking it there appears to be no fuel on the spark plug and no fuel leaving the cylinder when the spark plug is removed and cranked over...when I get home from work tonight I'll check continuity on the carb solenoid and see if the fuel pump works at all....I'm leaning towards a bad fuel pump

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
take the rocker cover off and check that the valves are going up & down ( in or out if you like ) .
From what you posted, a broken cam shaft sounds more to the case.

marc4fishing

Forum Newbie
Threads
Neighbor food some troubleshooting while I'm at work...sounds like the engine is shot...would it be possible to swap the motor with one from the other Deere L serous our even a kohler 16.hp pro that was puller out of a craftsman...I don't know the model number I just saw it on craigslist

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Any motor with the same shaft diameter and length can be made to fit.
Mounting hole positions are fairly well standard across brands.
If you go with another Kohler then even if the controls are different the entire control plate will transfer from one engine to the other.
Check the coils JD used the better engines and many of them had a ignition control system called SAM.
A SAM coil has 3 small wires attached to it so if one of the engines is SAM and one is not then the ignition systems will need to be swapped over.