Sump seal replace, still on the mower deck

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Just wondering which is quicker, to remove the single cylinder briggs engine off the frame to replace the bottom crankshaft seal. Or can this be done fairly easily with it still on the frame.

I do have the mower up off the ground, so it seems I have room to get to everything.

So, I'm just wondering if this is common practice? Or is there something I'm missing?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
I have done it that way on more than one occasion.
Just so long as you can get in a give the shaft a polish you will be fine.
I put some plastic across the fuel cap then screw it on and remove the battery to prevent spills then stand the mower vertical

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
I didn't do it vertical. About a 45 degree angle. Everything went fine. Well sort of. the old one popped right off, and the new one, after a little handy sand paper work on the rough edge, and with a little oil and a twist, went right on. I didn't even have to push the inside edge of the rubber up in there.

But, it's still leaking. Gonna have to do it again tomorrow. I'm hoping maybe the ring slipped off, or something easy. You ever get a bad seal? This would be my first one. I did happen to notice that the package was open when I bought it. But the seal looked brand new. No holes or tares in the rubber. I looked at it pretty close before I put it in.

In fact, I really didn't see anything wrong with the old one. It just didn't seal for some reason.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Rotate the engine slowly by hand with your finger touching the shaft and steadied against the sump.
You are feeling for a bent shaft.
The other things that people forget to do is to polish the shaft before you install the seal so the running surface is nice & smooth

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Rotate the engine slowly by hand with your finger touching the shaft and steadied against the sump.
You are feeling for a bent shaft.
The other things that people forget to do is to polish the shaft before you install the seal so the running surface is nice & smooth

I didn't feel anything out of round with the shaft. And the part of the crank, just slightly below where the seal fits, was pretty smooth. I sanded it a little more, simply because I was already down there, with the sand paper.
The new one went on almost as easy as the first one. But, this time, no leaks.
I mowed with it for about 30 minutes before I delivered it. Advised the customer to keep an eye out.

Knocking on wood.