Engaging deck Blades

Weed Whisperer

Forum Newbie
Threads
I have gotten conflicting info on engaging mower deck blades. Is the proper procedure to engage and disengage the electric clutches on the mower deck with the engine at full rpms?

primerbulb120

Threads
What model mower do you have?

On my Compact- Pro 44, I've done it three different ways: at idle, at full throttle, and with the engine off (then started the engine with the blades engaged.) Currently I'm doing it at idle because that's what I prefer.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
The proper technique is whatever the manual for your specific mower recommends. I usually engage mine at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, which is basically as low as possible without straining/stalling the mower. Recommendations will vary.

Catherine

LawnWorld Support
Staff member
Threads
:welcome:

Welcome to the forum!

I'm going to move this thread over to our Gravely section.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The proper technique is whatever the manual for your specific mower recommends. I usually engage mine at 1/2 to 2/3 throttle, which is basically as low as possible without straining/stalling the mower. Recommendations will vary.

This is correct.
The mower makers did not write the manual to show you how smart they are.
Different clutches and different configurations require different proceedures.

tbzep

Threads
The manual says low speed. If you do it before you get into deep grass and/or with deck still raised, it should easily handle it at idle.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The manual says low speed. If you do it before you get into deep grass and/or with deck still raised, it should easily handle it at idle.

You mean YOUR manual for YOUR mower says to engage at low speeds.
However we can only assume Weed Whisperer has a Gravely because he listed it in his profle.
But which model is currently unknown so what speed is currently unknown.

What is universal however is you should engage the blades with the deck set to whichever height has the deck & drive pulleys as close to in line as possible.