Briggs with a broken dipper

Otis3d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi, I have a Briggs 5.5 that was given to me on a Tiller. It was locked up. I opened the case an the broken dipper fell out. I put the case back and now it turns over but won’t start. I sprayed starting fluid in and it will pop but that’s it. I took carb off and sprayed with carb cleaner. If it would fire I would get a new dipper. Is this worth pursuing or should I just buy a predator engine?

Threads
I don't know which carb you have but I think it's the bowl type....... Is it a 126302 model number ????

Let us know Mon Ami ~!~!

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Did you replace the con rod,
Cause if you didn't it wont run for long.

If the PO had been running without the diper then good chance the valves are hanging or the guides are worn very oval
The piston could very well be stuck on the pin as well.

Otis3d

Forum Newbie
Threads
Haven’t replaced anything and I don’t know anything about it. I’m not much of a mechanic when it’s internals. It does have a bowl on the carb.

Threads
Otis NOW I am not telling you to run this engine long when you get it going OK........ Now were the 2 bolts still on the con rod cap ???/ ie where the dipper was bolted to.....

That dipper is your oil slinger...... Maybe it broke off and got stuck in there and stalled the engine.... That would be a great thing if all the teeth are fine on the cam and crankshaft gear........

Ok you got the bowl type like I thought.... That bowl nut is a jet also... Take it out and there is a hole on top and 2 on the sides... 1 on each side....

Take a wire and poke thru the holes all 3 of them and spray carb cleaner thru there well... That is your major problem with your carb... Don't take the bowl off just the nut.....

Put it back together and turn the fuel on if you got a shut off valve... Fresh gas of course in the tank..... DON"T use starting fluid, use carb spray or squirt gas in the throat of the carb..... It should fire and stay running.... WE HOPE....

DON"T run it for more than 30 seconds or so........ Ok we got that part down......

Let us know what happens MON AMI ...........

Otis3d

Forum Newbie
Threads
I took the side off of the case and I can take my finger and wiggle the rod cap back-and-forth. So I figured I can’t hurt it much and I checked the bolts holding the rod cap on and they were a little bit loose. So I took the bolts out and the rod is scarred and one of the bolt hole isn’t even round anymore. In my opinion the verdict is in, this engine is done. harbor freight has them on sale.

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See,
You know a lot more than you think
A rod should spin freely and have some movement along the journal but no movement towards or away from the piston.
The dipper is what circulates the oil.

Threads
Yes that side play is normal.... If you had that much slack going up and down then that's a no go situation......