Burning hair?

NYGIANT

Forum Newbie
Threads
My leaf blower recently developed a distinct smell of burning hair and stalls after 5-10 minutes, any ideas? FYI It's a Craftsman 2 cycle, 25cc engine - model# 316.791600. Thank you!

primerbulb120

Threads
When it stalls, does it do so abruptly, or does it start bogging and struggling before finally cutting out?

NYGIANT

Forum Newbie
Threads
It struggles and bogs down before finally stalling.

primerbulb120

Threads
Has it been doing this since new? How old is it?

When you press the primer bulb, how long does it take to pop back out?

NYGIANT

Forum Newbie
Threads
The primer bulb pops right back out when depressed - no change or problem there. The blower is about 2 years old and this problem just started recently. FYI, already checked the plug and wire, took out the carburetor and cleaned it, checked the air filter and gas lines, used fresh gas, cleaned the spark arrestor and the exhaust port - both had minimal carbon build up. At this point I'm thinking bad muffler? I didn't find enough carbon build up to think that might be the problem in the muffler but where else could that smell be coming from? The blower seems to run a bit hotter than usual before it stalls too.

Last edited:

primerbulb120

Threads
Sounds like the carburetor needs tuning. I wouldn't say there's any particular cause for this other than normal engine wear. Edit: If you took the carburetor apart, that's probably one reason why the adjustment is off.

You can get a carburetor adjustment screwdriver for a few dollars online, I think your carb takes a Pac Man style screwdriver.

Now, follow these two directions very carefully:

- When adjusting, start the blower and run it till it exhibits the issue. Using your screwdriver, open the "H" mixture screw slowly until the engine stops bogging and performs well. Then open it about 1/4 turn more. If this does not work, report back for further instructions. Experimenting randomly with the carb screws will result in a ruined engine or an engine that won't run.

- Don't use the blower until you can fix the issue. You are in danger of overheating and ruining the engine. If you have to use it, run it on half choke.

primerbulb120

Threads
The smell is very hot engine/very hot muffler. As I mentioned, you are in danger of overheating things if you keep using it as is.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the cover off the fan and check for hair wrapped around the shaft .
IT gets sucked in from your cloths and builds up around the shaft.
Also check around the cylinder cause if it does not get caught on the shaft, it gets stuck between the fins and the cover .
This also causes the engine to overheat.

NYGIANT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Okay, I'll give the carburetor adjustment a try as soon as I get the appropriate style screwdriver. FYI, I didn't actually take it "apart", I just removed it from the engine to give it a good cleaning with Gumout - and that was only AFTER this problem started. And I definitely won't be using it until this is fixed - thanks.

NYGIANT

Forum Newbie
Threads
Take the cover off the fan and check for hair wrapped around the shaft .
IT gets sucked in from your cloths and builds up around the shaft.
Also check around the cylinder cause if it does not get caught on the shaft, it gets stuck between the fins and the cover .
This also causes the engine to overheat.

I already checked around the fan shaft and found nothing. Not sure what you mean by "check around the cylinder" - can you explain?