I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run odd.

BookOfSin

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run odd.
I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run odd.

1. I took this video (video is below) before adding some new oil to the mower and was wondering what might be causing the weird noise. Usually, it sounds/runs a lot better than that. Any ideas? My guess is a filter or spark plug.

2. After that video, I got some leftover oil from the garage. The only stuff we had was some 2-stroke oil and I looked it up on my phone and some people said yay and others nay. So like an idiot I just put it in. It seemed to work ok but no improvement. Have I totally screwed myself and mower over or is it ok?

Video (forum moderators this is not spam! I had to do it this way because I cannot upload or directly link): photos[DOT]app[DOT]goo[DOT]gl/7KIyI1KRYWLnbZRI3

primerbulb120

Threads
  • / I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run odd.
Re: I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run o

I'd start checking things in this order:

- Air filter. Does the mower run good without it?
- Choke (if applicable.) If it's stuck shut, the mower will run like that.
- Spark plug. If you have a spare, try it, if not the part # is J19LM.
- If you have an inline spark tester, put it on and have someone run the mower while you look at the tester. If the light goes on and off as the engine sputters, your ignition coil is probably bad.
- If you don't have an inline spark tester, you can pick one up at Harbor Freight for a few dollars or order one online.
- If all else fails, the issue is probably in the fuel system (clogged jet, old gas, bad fuel pump, etc.) I'd check everything else first though.

- As long as the mower is not smoking, you probably haven't broke anything with the 2-cycle oil. However, 2-cycle oil does not belong in the crank case of a mower. Drain it out and put in some fresh 10W-30.

primerbulb120

Threads
Re: I have a 500 Series (Yard Machines / Briggs & Stratton) that is starting to run o

For anyone who doesn't want to look at the video, it sounds like the mower is running with the choke on.

Threads

I can't get the video up is it on you tube ??

primerbulb120

Threads

No, it's on Google. It sounds like a mower running with the choke on.