Front end

motime

Threads
My 145 auto will be getting another new front wheel, again. This is the 3rd one in less than 4 years. My property is hard to mow, tree roots, moles, hilly, the usual. This mower is about 8-10 years old. I bought it from the previous owner of my house when we bought the house. It seems like these wheels, that I bought at a dealership, wear out easily. Is there a way to adjust (tow in, tow out)? Maybe the axels need to be replaced? Should I just expect this with my terrain? It has about 610 hours. Thanks

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
There should be a way to adjust toe-in.

What part of the wheel is getting ruined?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
There is no adjustment apart from replacing the bushes in the cross member and the drag links
The 100 series are cheap mowers built down to a price for JD by AYP.
IF you want to have adjustable toe in/out then cut the end off the drag links ( both if you like ) thread it then buy a pair of tie rod ends.
They are not cheap which is why they were not fitted in the first place.
Almost no domestic level mowers have adjustable toe in and a lot do not even have a proper joint.

The market gets what the market will pay for.
The market will not pay for adjustable steering so the makers do not fit it.

Threads
There is no adjustment apart from replacing the bushes in the cross member and the drag links
The 100 series are cheap mowers built down to a price for JD by AYP.
IF you want to have adjustable toe in/out then cut the end off the drag links ( both if you like ) thread it then buy a pair of tie rod ends.
They are not cheap which is why they were not fitted in the first place.
Almost no domestic level mowers have adjustable toe in and a lot do not even have a proper joint.

The market gets what the market will pay for.
The market will not pay for adjustable steering so the makers do not fit it.

So true Bert......... Everyone wants a mower for a cheap price nowadays, They want cheap crap and want more money per hour and salaries..... The old saying is you get what you pay for......

That's why I buy all the older L head and Kohler engines I can find........

Now I did say everyone not just certain countries,,,, LOL..... I remember when I was a small kid in 1st grade the school lawn mowers were the Yazoo mowers self propelled with a Horizontal engine and 2 belts on it......One for the self drive and one for the blade........

3 people were running 3 mowers almost daily to keep the grass cut...... In the far away parts a bushhog on a tractor would keep that area at bay..........

My neighbor has a friend that owns a Yazoo like I am talking about and I offered him good money for it...... No sale he says, it's tooooo good of a mower.....

That thing is at least 40 years old..............

Plus Tard Mon Ami........

motime

Threads
There should be a way to adjust toe-in.

What part of the wheel is getting ruined?

The wheels seem liked they get "wallered out" from the axel, if that makes any sense. Like it's just not that really tight around the axel, maybe leaving too much play around it. Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
That is exactly what happens.
The drag links get sloppy and because the wheels are not tied together they flop about.
It was all about making them turn really tight.
If you look down with the steering at full lock you will see the inside wheel is a lot closer to square on than the off side wheel and hat allows the mower to almost turn on itself.
The down side to this is you can it tie the wheels together like they use to do so the links wear rapidly .
Also when you run into something the drag links take the full force and bend.

cpurvis

Lawn Addict
Threads
The wheels seem liked they get "wallered out" from the axel, if that makes any sense. Like it's just not that really tight around the axel, maybe leaving too much play around it. Thanks

Could it be that your axle is worn to the point it's too small now? Maybe a new spindle is in order.

motime

Threads
Thanks to all who responded t my post, front end. I thought there used to be a thank button

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Thanks to all who responded t my post, front end. I thought there used to be a thank button

The forum owners are trying to encourge people to come back and reveal the final outcome so future readers with similar problem will know what worked for you.
But a plain thank you is always appreciated just the same.

JoeM(GA)

Threads

you might check with your dealer, Deere ended up with replacement tie rods that had an adjustment when replaced on most manufactured with solid rods