rebuilt or new?

monica123

Threads
Looks like we are going to have to replace the engine in our mower, is a rebuilt engine comparable in quality to a new? I know there is a huge cost difference, but are they any good to use?

KennyV

Lawn Pro
Threads
Some engines are rebuildable others were not built to be rebuilt... It depends on what engine...
Also what is wrong with your engine. KennyV

rekees

Threads
I never buy anything that is rebuilt ... why inherit somebody else problems?

ted

Threads
I never buy anything that is rebuilt ... why inherit somebody else problems?

What if its your issue to start with and you pay someone to rebuild it. Is that out of the question as well or just purchasing an old new one?

cottom

Threads
Except for my "hot rod" motors, I just buy a new motors, particularly if it is a Briggs & Statton, from my local farm supply store, in my case it is Rural King.

jeff

Threads
The rule here is what did the mower cost new,what could you get for it rebuilt on e-bay or just selling it? Most walk behind mowers should be tossed when the engine breaks, but riders are a different story. If the mower is worth say $1000 or more, then spending 2 or 3 hundred dollars would be sensible.

VRman

Threads
You could also look into purchasing a new engine as well. Companies like Northern Tool sell all kinds of motors. I've done this in the past with Yardman garden tractors.