High Speed Idle Adjustment

Patrick0525

Threads
I have a Kohler Command 7000 KT725(2017) and need to check it's high speed at 3600 rpm.
How do adjust since there is no high speed idle screw? See bottom pic.

I planning to use a digital rpm meter

Governor_Throttle.JPG

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The term high idle is a bit confusing.
The bolt K is what is used to adjust the high speed when the engine is not under load , ie idleing

EngineMan

Lawn Addict
Threads
High speed is the MAX set at 3600 rpm

Patrick0525

Threads
I don't see so called bolt 'K' for setting it to 3600rpm. Where is it?
Can someone circle the area that needs to adjusted? Thanks.

Kohler.jpg

Last edited:

BlazNT

Lawn Pro
Threads
To adjust top speed you loosen bolt circled in green and with the throttle set to fast or rabbit move cable in or out till the desired RPM is reached. Then tighten bolt circled in green down. Take care to not over rev. Good things do not come from over revved engines.
Kohler 7000.jpg

Patrick0525

Threads
To adjust top speed you loosen bolt circled in green and with the throttle set to fast or rabbit move cable in or out till the desired RPM is reached. Then tighten bolt circled in green down. Take care to not over rev. Good things do not come from over revved engines.

View attachment 37786

Thanks. Last year the mower went to the dealer for a choke adjustment (under warranty), because in choke mode the butterfly wasn't closed fully. They adjusted it and it almost starts on the 1st crank.

This mowing season, the fast mode seems to be under powered.
I will test with a digital tachometer for 3600rpm before proceeding.

Thanks again.

Patrick0525

Threads
Bought chrome colored nail polish and painted one plastic cooling fin so the digital tachometer had a reflective surface to read from. ( Removed the cooling shroud to make the measurement ) At fast idle mode it read 3400 rpm, I made no adjustment since the engine only has 23hrs. Do you think I should have adjust it to 3600 rpm?

Patrick0525

Threads
Thanks, I will leave it alone for now and remeasure at 100hrs.

Low Flyer

Threads
Hi folks,

I know this thread is a few months old, but I just now registered on this forum, and have just a small tidbit of info to add to the above solution, which is correct, by the way.

I bought a new Cub Cadet with a KT740 and WOT no load was only 3180rpm, and about 3,100 with the blades engaged, but before I could adjust the cable as described above, I had to remove a screw whose sole purpose is to prevent any engine speed adjustment above the 3180 rpm on my mower. I'm guessing that they were trying to limit engine speed to 3,200. Anyway, they had screwed a self threading screw through mounting bracket in such a way that it acted as a stop and would not allow the throttle to move beyond that point, at WOT. I'll take a picture of it tomorrow, just in case anyone else runs across this problem.

Anyway, I set the no load speed at 3,640 rpm, 3,500 with the blades engaged, and my goodness what a difference in the sound of the blades. I can hardly wait to see if it mows better than before.

Gil