Subaru SP170

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couldn't find the Subaru section. Hope this one will do.

170DT1100. Put a new carb on it, and it cranks and runs great for like 3 seconds. Then either dies, or surges. Fuel take is clean. Spark plug was a little coated. So I wire brushed it off, sprayed some carb cleaner in it and blew it out.

Sometimes it runs pretty good on half choke. But as soon as you move it, it'll die.

Any idea's?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Quick & diry test is to pull the air filter off get a can of carb cleaner to use as starter fluid ( more gentle on the engine ).
Start the engine then give it SHORT shots of fluid down the carb.
If you can keep it running for a minute or so like this you have a fuel supply problem

PTmowerMech

Lawn Addict
Threads
Quick & diry test is to pull the air filter off get a can of carb cleaner to use as starter fluid ( more gentle on the engine ).
Start the engine then give it SHORT shots of fluid down the carb.
If you can keep it running for a minute or so like this you have a fuel supply problem

Ah, thank you so much. I'm going to try that first thing in the AM. The inside of the fuel tank is spotless. And from what I can see from the fuel filter, it's not bad either. But, I can't see much of the fuel line. I know it's not clogged, because on the bottom (side) of the carb bowl, there's a smaller screw, I took it out, and a normal amount of gas came out of it.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it, but I sprayed WD 40 around the carb, while it was running, and there was no change in the way it ran.