Converting HRX2173HZA to battery charging

HRX217HZA

Threads
If you are interested in background see:

HRX217HZA - Starting and Charging and other questions.

So as you may know later models of the HRX with electric start have a charging system and do not require the battery be charged, the battery, housing and wiring is different. Some research indicates the starter is also different but there is nothing labeled as “alternator” that I can find in the parts diagram.

So my question (beyond has anyone done this)

WHAT on the engine functions as the Alternator and how is it driven?

P.S. anyone heard from Robert@Honda lately?

Last edited:

Ava.Feret

Threads
The answer is the newer units have a module which is a spark and charging coil. The part number is 30500-Z0L-M71 COIL ASSY., IGNITION .
The battery is a sealed AGM battery.
It can be modified but some work. I am not sure if the unit will fit, but I would assume it would
Hope this helps.

HRX217HZA

Threads
Thank you.

OK so my preliminary parts list looks like this:

Product Description

OEM Parts

CHARGER KIT, HARNESS

Honda Power Equipment

item: 06320-VH7-S00

OEM Parts

COIL ASSY., IGNITION

Honda Power Equipment

item: 30500-Z0L-M71

OEM Parts

BATTERY ASSY. (MSDS)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31500-VH7-800

OEM Parts

COVER, BATTERY

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31513-VH7-V00

OEM Parts

BOX, BATTERY

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31550-VH7-V00

OEM Parts

CHARGER ASSY., BATTERY (FLOAT-CHG)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31570-VH7-S31

OEM Parts

HARNESS ASSY., MAIN

Honda Power Equipment

item: 32100-VH7-S30

OEM Parts

WIRE, COMBINATION

Honda Power Equipment

item: 32223-Z0Y-N50

OEM Parts

SCREW, TAPPING (4X16)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 93911-14480

I’m assuming I can reuse the switch, key and fuse (or that the fuse is a common 30 amp blade)

There are two main harnesses listed for a HRX217K5 HZAA the other one is:

HARNESS ASSY., MAIN
32100-VH7-S00

and it is about 1/3 the price which probably means it isn’t the one I would need. :laughing:

Anyone spot any huge holes in this plan?

HRX217HZA

Threads
Ah, apparently the newest models include a provision for charging in the main harness, eliminating the need for the charging harness kit. I am guessing this is the difference in the two main harnesses and that the more expensive one is the one that includes charging provisions, can anyone verify?

Ava.Feret

Threads
The reason is the newer harness actually disconnects the battery from the coil on the engine. They do not want any charging voltage from charger to get to the coil.
To get around this you can open the battery box disconnect the leads and charge it. The battery will or should charge in one hour of running time.

Ava.Feret

Threads
Also Boats.net usually has the best prices. Let us know how it goes.
I would really think there is a diode somewhere, which I did not see.

HRX217HZA

Threads
All Right, what we learned today about Honda Lawn Mowers.

So, it does work but there are a couple things that aren’t immediately apparent.

1) The HANDLE BAR is not the same. The new battery box will only mount to the lower of the two holes which puts if further down than is convenient and leaves a lot of slack in the harness. The harness also will not attach to the existing wiring harness holes. So I have to order a handle bar, fortunately it isn’t awfully expensive.

2) When you start to replace the combination wire, which goes through a holder under the flywheel your brain will tell you that you should be able to attach a wire/string/fish tape to it and pull it through and then use the fish tape to thread the new combination wire back through. Your brain is wrong, it ain’t happening. You’re gonna have to pull the flywheel. Pulling the flywheel requires a 6” 2 jaw puller. The only place that had one in town was O’Reilly Auto Parts in the “loaner tool” program. You also really need the flywheel holder to do it right when reinstalling.

2) a) The Factory shop manual shows an unidentified box that the combination wire goes to as well for “K4 and up", this appears to be the wire labeled “5” in the parts diagram, if you order for the newest K5 you will get wire “6”.

3) I’m not too impressed with the charger, the charger for the K3 seems much nicer.

Last edited:

HRX217HZA

Threads
Well if you are a little out there like me and want to do this here is what you need.

You could probably drill your handlebar, 2 holes vs 1 and the location of them, as well as slightly larger holes for the wiring harness is the only difference.

Works like a charm.

Product Description

OEM Parts

COIL ASSY., IGNITION

Honda Power Equipment

item: 30500-Z0L-M71

OEM Parts

BATTERY ASSY. (MSDS)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31500-VH7-800

OEM Parts

COVER, BATTERY

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31513-VH7-V00

OEM Parts

BOX, BATTERY

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31550-VH7-V00

OEM Parts

HARNESS ASSY., MAIN

Honda Power Equipment

item: 32100-VH7-S30

OEM Parts

WIRE, COMBINATION

Honda Power Equipment

item: 32223-Z0Y-N50

OEM Parts

SCREW, TAPPING (4X16)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 93911-14480 (X3)

OEM Parts

PIPE, HANDLE *NH105* (MAT BLACK)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 53110-VH7-S00ZA

OEM Parts

MARK, ENGINE SWITCH

Honda Power Equipment

item: 87501-VH7-S00

OEM Parts

MARK

Honda Power Equipment

item: 87506-VL0-S00

(optional)

OEM Parts

CHARGER ASSY., BATTERY (FLOAT-CHG)

Honda Power Equipment

item: 31570-VH7-S31

mesaboog

Threads
Interesting project...just seems like a lot of effort and $ so as to save yourself from having to charge the battery a few times per year for 24 hours. This assuming you already have the older electric start without self charge to begin with (HZA). Cost/benefit just seems high to me.