Converting HRX2173HZA to battery charging

bazar01

Threads
If it was me, I will just get a battery maintainer from Walmart for $25, hook it up so you have the quick connect plug hanging out in a convenient spot.
Hook the charger up every time you park it after use.

HRX217HZA

Threads
Interesting project...just seems like a lot of effort and $ so as to save yourself from having to charge the battery a few times per year for 24 hours. This assuming you already have the older electric start without self charge to begin with (HZA). Cost/benefit just seems high to me.

I never said it was rational. But the mower needed a battery anyway and the older style batteries are fairly expensive. The newer battery is also lighter so I feel like it improves the balance.

I probably wouldn’t do it again though, it was a lot of work compared to what I thought it was going to be starting out.

If it was me, I will just get a battery maintainer from Walmart for $25, hook it up so you have the quick connect plug hanging out in a convenient spot.
Hook the charger up every time you park it after use.

Little late for that.

mesaboog

Threads
You can get new batteries on Amazon for $34. Just FYI.

mesaboog

Threads
Lighten up Francis. Not trying to put you on the defensive. Just thought I could throw my 2 cents in the ring since I have experience with these mowers. As I mentioned in my first post, I found your project interesting, just not practical for the cost/benefit perspective for someone who already has a non self charging electric start equipped machine. I also thought the "jackleg sourcing information" might be helpful since you mentioned in post 12 that you thought older batteries were expensive.

But anyway your mod is worthwhile for someone who wants to add an electric start to a non-electric start equipped machine. For that, I think your documenting your experience and posting details might be more practical and of great help.