Repairs back again... brake assembly fell off

Threads
my really old Craftsman Murray 8 hp 32" rider has been running/ cutting fine but... I was showing the mower to my son who was visiting and he reached under the cowl and picked up a heavy metal disk and asked what it was for. I had no idea and took it to my mower guy and he said it was the disk from the disc brakes and there should be a lot of other parts under there some where.

I went back home and prowled around and found all but 2 pieces which I think I can pick up at my repair shop

To locate the parts I had t o lift the seat and remove the battery then reach up and clear out a huge glob of grease off the side if the transmission. most of the small parts were in-bedded in the glob of grease. The brake assembly bolts to the side of the transmission and trying to replace everything would be a lot easier if i remove the side panel of the mower.
that will require removing about a zillion bolts and nuts including the fender.
the mower is a chain drive so removing the rear wheel won't get me any closer

So my question is... any ideas on how to replace the brake assembly?
I can't see myself holding the caliper, spring, 2 brake pads and starting a bolt all with one hand.

You have all helped me before so please help me again.

Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Take the box out.
It will be held on by 4 short bolts.
The pulley may or may not need to be removed.
Sprocket stays on just undo the chain & while it is off have a good look at both sprockets and clean then lube the chain.
There is only 1 spring on the actuating arm.
The whole thing can be assembled one handed, the only hard bit is stopping the two pins falling out.
You should have a caliper, an arm 2 pins 2 pads & 2 shims
A touch of grease to the inner shim & back of the pad will keep them in place
hen slip the disc on and againa touch of dry lube on the splines works wonders.
next the caliper complete with the second pad & shim.
Now slip the pins in , a touch of dry lube on them as well.
last bit is the lever and spring.
The nut that holds the lever on also adjusts it so only do it up till it touches the pins then check the braking action.

Threads
Thanks for the replies and support. You all gave me the confidence to tackle the job.
the brake pads were no longer available but my mower repair place gave me a couple of brake pads and i re contoured them to fix the retainer on the box and the caliper. took a lot of trips to the disk sander but eventually I got them to fit.
I am not a metal worker or mechanic but as my name implies I have an extensive wood shop so I made do with the tools I have.

Anyway it took most of the day and I had to also repair the parts that caused the brake assembly to fall off in the first place.

we have 3 days of rain so as soon as it stops I will test drive the mower and adjust the brakes.
Two of the 4 bolts that hold the box are burried in the pulleys so I just left everything in place and worked with what I had.

thanks again these forums are the place to visit and get results

thanks again, I'm sure I will be back again when the next " surprise " happens