Mulching Honda HR214 Mulching

rgiacomini

Forum Newbie
Threads
Hi,
I received a HR214 from my late father-in-law and it seems to run like a champ. After reading through some threads it sounds like you can by a kit that adds a blade and turns it into a mower that mulches. When I mow right now without the bag I've noticed some pretty large areas of thatch left behind (the grass was not wet when i cut it). Will adding the additional blade help with this? I'm sorry if this seems like a dumb question but there is no chute on the side where the grass will shoot out only the door in the back where you attach the bag. How does the mulching work when there is no chute on the side? New homeowner and my father-in-law would have been the one I went to with these questions. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

primerbulb120

Threads
I think you're missing a mulch plug (purpose is to block the bag opening when the bag is not installed. Could you post the complete model and serial so we can look one up?

golfergordy

Threads
In addition to needing the mulching plug (which, by-the-way is no longer available, so you must buy one on the used market), you will need the mulching kit, which includes 1) a new blade that you install together with the stock blade, 2) 2-new, longer, blade mounting bolts and compression washers, and 3) a new spacer. I bought such a kit last year for an HR215, but when I rec'd it, the instruction sheet said that it also fit the HR215K1 model as well as the HR214 model. This past winter I again bought the same mulching kit for an HR214 that I'm fixing up, but that project is still waiting in line for me to get to it. This mulching kit only showed up on parts diagrams for the HR215K1, but it fits the other models mentioned above.

tranchinh

Threads
In addition to needing the mulching plug (which, by-the-way is no longer available, so you must buy one on the used market), you will need the mulching kit, which includes 1) a new blade that you install together with the stock blade, 2) 2-new, longer, blade mounting bolts and compression washers, and 3) a new spacer. I bought such a kit last year for an HR215, but when I rec'd it, the instruction sheet said that it also fit the HR215K1 model as well as the HR214 model. This past winter I again bought the same mulching kit for an HR214 that I'm fixing up, but that project is still waiting in line for me to get to it. This mulching kit only showed up on parts diagrams for the HR215K1, but it fits the other models mentioned above.

You're right but the mulching plug is not cheap,they're selling for $100 on ebay .I think we can make a piece of metal curve around and bold it to the deck .How ever the HR214 with GXV 120 engine may be too weak for mulching

golfergordy

Threads
You're right but the mulching plug is not cheap,they're selling for $100 on ebay .I think we can make a piece of metal curve around and bold it to the deck .How ever the HR214 with GXV 120 engine may be too weak for mulching

If someone can make a mulching plug (that actually works well) for the HR series Honda mowers, I would like him to start a new thread showing the design.
I doubt that Honda would sell a mulching kit (minus the plug which is no longer available) that fits the HR214 if it didn't work well due to the GXV 120 engine being too weak. The parts list for the HR214 doesn't show the mulching kit, but model HR215K1 does, and when I rec'd this kit the paperwork clearly stated that it was also for model HR214, so I bought a 2nd kit that I'll install on my HR214 after I get it fixed up. I bought my mulching plug on CL when I saw an ad for an HR214 which showed the plug in the picture. I called the seller and offered $20 for the plug alone and he accepted my offer. I'm still checking CL ads for one more plug.