Ignition Module for Spectra 50 Engine

Eugbug

Threads
As far as I can make out the model number is E-58002A. The cowl is also marked SPT50 which I presume means Spectra 50. The engine was made in '97. The ignition coil has failed, so what's the difference between all the different types of ignition modules available on eBay? Is the leg spacing different, or are they designed for different diameter flywheels?

Found an exploded diagram.

https://www.dewilgo.de/hersteller/TECUMSEH/SPECTRA_E-58_E-58002A_MOTOR_TECUMSEH.pdf

Seems the part number is 14160034 by Tecnamotor.
From doing more searching, it seems a 34443 34443A 34443B 34443C 34443D ignition coil replaces this part.

Available for $10 on eBay - Delivery will probably take 3 weeks though! By then the grass will be 1 foot tall....

Last edited:

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Inside the coil is a tiny control chip that determines exactly when the plug will fire.
It is called a Hall effect trigger . Some even have a little advance curve built into them.
Thus each one is unique to the engine it was fitted to.
Basically they eliminate the points.
Some smarty pants realised if you glue them inside the coil, when they go the customer has to replace the entire coil.

A lot of what you see on ebay are the parts that the QC of the original purchaser rejected as being substandard.
Get them from a mower shop be it over the counter, or on line ( check to see if they have a pick up address ).
Leg spacing and type ( 2 or 3 leg ) mean little it is the chip that is important.
FWIW I have to carry 39 different coils down here because they usually go at the start of the growing season.
Most of the quality aftermarket ones come from Mexico, Brazil or Italy, not China

Eugbug

Threads
Inside the coil is a tiny control chip that determines exactly when the plug will fire.
It is called a Hall effect trigger . Some even have a little advance curve built into them.
Thus each one is unique to the engine it was fitted to.
Basically they eliminate the points.
Some smarty pants realised if you glue them inside the coil, when they go the customer has to replace the entire coil.

A lot of what you see on ebay are the parts that the QC of the original purchaser rejected as being substandard.
Get them from a mower shop be it over the counter, or on line ( check to see if they have a pick up address ).
Leg spacing and type ( 2 or 3 leg ) mean little it is the chip that is important.
FWIW I have to carry 39 different coils down here because they usually go at the start of the growing season.
Most of the quality aftermarket ones come from Mexico, Brazil or Italy, not China

At this stage, are parts likely to be aftermarket and non-OEM for a 21 year old engine?

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
Tecumseh went belly up some time ago.
One of the companies Tecumseh bought out Launsen ? bought back much of the business and is supplying some parts.
Stens, Oregon & Prime Line all do aftermarket coils from reliable sources.
Farmer Tech is an OEM suppler to Tecumseh so their stuff is good if bought from Tecumseh or a real store that you can walk into.
My wholesaler gets his from Italy, but the box is labeled in Italian so I can not understand most of it.
Jacks small Engines , a company I buy a lot of parts from lists them at $ 37 US so any one who is selling at less than 2/3 of this is peddeling reject parts.
Most small engine repair shops will keep them in stock as it was a very popular engine and the coils did not change for 40 years.
Unless they are a Tecumseh now called LCT agent you will get an aftermarket part of good quality.

Because profit margins in China are so small, there is no such thing as a scrap part.
What the original purchaser rejects gets on sold to some one else and ultimately ends up on Ebay or Amazon or some other fake shop that only exists in cyber space.

Avoid any coil marked as Universal as they are exactly what they say , Universally will work badly on whatever they are fitted to , for a while.

Not a recommendation per say, but this place ticks all the boxes.
part is not too cheap to be true
is a real shop with a street address
http://www.chainsawpartsonline.co.uk/tecumseh-34443-14160034-ignition-coil-fits-most-engines/

Eugbug

Threads
My local garden equipment repair / hire shop had a coil from a scrapped Tecumseh engine which looked the same, so they gave it to me for nothing. The mounting holes were in different positions, so I removed the coil from the laminated core and fitted it onto the core of my faulty ignition coil. Soldering the earth was a bit of a pain since the the core acted as a heat sink, but I managed to do it with my heavy duty iron. Probably should have just used a spade crimp and a ring crimps under a mounting screw.
Engine now works fine again.
Anyway, thanks for all the suggestions!

Last edited: