Repairs HRR216 belt is loose after installing new transmission

tsbt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRR216 belt is loose after installing new transmission
This seems pretty weird, but after I replaced the transmission with a new one, it seems that the drive belt is now too large, to say it another way, I can't make it tight enough without an extreme rotation of the transmission. During disassembly, I pried the belt off, while it was in tension (before releasing the spring) by rolling it over the edge of the drive pulley and rotating the pulley. Could that have stretched the belt? In my years of previous experience, I've never seen a belt stretch in that way.

Now, it's difficult to get all the sheet metal parts around the transmission re-assembled. In order to tighten the belt enough, I have to rotate the transmission too much, causing its pulley to be at too big an angle with respect to the belt itself. It also seems that the location of the transmission interferes with assembly of the sheet metal parts. Can anyone shed some light here? Thanks.

Tom

tsbt

Forum Newbie
Threads
  • / HRR216 belt is loose after installing new transmission
False alarm. My bad. The bearing plates that hold each drive wheel in place can be assembled in two positions. I had them in the wrong position: too far forward. This explains why the belt seemed too big and why I couldn't assemble the sheet metal grass deflector plates. Thanks for your attention.

Tom