Toro GTS-150 / Briggs & Stratton Carburator difficulty

Threads
  • / Toro GTS-150 / Briggs & Stratton Carburator difficulty
Hi there :).

Got myself for not too much a partly dismantled Toro Commercial series 600 with GTS-150 engine (model number 22154, series number 7xxxxxxxx) . It was running not smooth and hard to start, and vibrates somewhat with the BBC off. Didn't get to that part yet, but it I know it could mean a bend shaft...

Anywayz.... didn't know that so went to work with the carburetor. This was goofed up, gaskets seriously dried but the float needle still looked very good. Could spot the difference between the new and old one. After thoroughly cleaning and installing new gaskets and such from B&S original parts put everything back together.

Went back to assembling the whole thing, and to my surprise it fired up after 1 pull of the cord. Great. Too bad my triumph stopped almost as soon as I killed the engine: The carburetor overflowed severely.

Now, the issue is: It seems I have 2 hose connections, but I can't figure out how the fuel line needs to be installed. If I blind of one, the overflowing continues. I hope that the images clarify more, but I am asking for help in here how to connect the fuel line on which connection, and what to do with the other one. Also an insight on the overflow could be caused by wrongly connected or some other problem would ne appreciated :).

Attachments

• DSC_0125.jpg
    DSC_0125.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSC_0126(1).jpg
    DSC_0126(1).jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC_0126(marked).jpg
    DSC_0126(marked).jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0127(1).jpg
    DSC_0127(1).jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 13
  • DSC_0128(2).jpg
    DSC_0128(2).jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 12
  • DSC_0128(marked).jpg
    DSC_0128(marked).jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 11

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I would say the float valve isn't sealing causing the overflow. I believe you have the fuel line hooked up correctly. the other nipple is most likely for a primer system,

Threads
I have never seen that type of carb down here........ IL engine is probably right on a primer... Also if it's flooding like you said then he is right on a seat that is bad or a needle.... Or both....

Me and my buddy Johnny best was thing a vent tube to hook up to a air box or something......... What happens if you don't block that outlet ???

I'll try to look up that engine and take a look...

IL Engine have you seen this style before here in the states ????

Threads
If I not block that outlet it's just flows from the stub without the hose. On the airbox there is no connection or so to connect a hose to, also not on the tank... I also assumed a priming connection, but in that case there is no return line on the tank and that is also not drawn in the Toro Partsviewer overview on this engine.

How to double check if the needle is sealing correctly? I had a look inside the carburetor and the sealing looks in very good condition together with the valve. I tested it by blowing in the connection with the carb upside down, and it appeared to seal well. Any other idea?

Threads
I found the engine numbers and I hope this link goes thru....... It's a briggs manual.... It is a vent tube that goes to the air box I think.........

No deal on the copy and paste.. I will get the numbers though and post them .........

Ok here are the numbers for the engine.....Or one close to it... It is a Gts 150 though 097772-0110-01

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
I have never seen that type of carb down here........ IL engine is probably right on a primer... Also if it's flooding like you said then he is right on a seat that is bad or a needle.... Or both....

Me and my buddy Johnny best was thing a vent tube to hook up to a air box or something......... What happens if you don't block that outlet ???

I'll try to look up that engine and take a look...

IL Engine have you seen this style before here in the states ????

Since it has a choke it may not be a primer, but from the looks of the carb, it could be an external bowl vent that would of either went to the air box, or just had a short piece of hose that hung down below the carb for venting. I have seen a few carbs with both a choke and a primer. I was suspecting this unit may have had the primer type system kind of like some of the lawnboy mowers with the primer next to the fuel tank or some location like that.

Threads
It is piece of hose that goes up according to the diagram to the air box.... Never ran across one like that that I can remember. Maybe the other guy in the shop but it would have to had come across me some kind of way .... Paper work or parts or looking at the unit.....

Threads
I think I am going somewhere.

So, what I now understand is that the overflow of the carburetor and the maybe incorrect cable connection to the carburetor have nothing in common in this case? I did try to find an(other) connection on the air filter box, but it doesn't appear to have any other connection than the crankcase ventilation. So is my other option to connect a piece of fuel hose and leave it like that?

Why would a carburetor have a vent? Don't know that :confused:

=======

Anyway... I am considering that a did not correctly assemble the carburetor. The previous Toro I did (HMR-1600, with Kohler MV-16 and Walbro) had a non-replaceable float bowl gasket (it has a name?) . I did inspect that part of the B&S carburetor, and found it in good shape. But not realizing that the small rubber-like gasket is actually for that purpose in the overhaul kit. Maybe it was never mounted or maybe I missed it when I blew air through the carburetor :tongue: .

=======

The engine number is spot-on by the way.

Thanks already for your help guys :thumbsup:

ILENGINE

Lawn Pro
Threads
The vent or better known as an atmospheric vent is to equalize the pressure in the fuel bowl to the pressure outside the carb. if that vent is plugged off it will cause a siphoning effect and rich running/flooding. you can just hook a short piece of fuel line to it or just leave it alone, it won't hurt anything. You may of had the needle valve that uses the rubber donut up inside the float valve orifice and without it, or if it is damaged will cause fuel to leak past the seat, and will cause what you are seeing as overflow.

Newer carbs in the USA have an internal vent as opposed to your exterior vent. Emission requirement since they don't want gas vapors to get into the air.

Threads
Hi ILEngine.

That makes sense with the vent, but never realized it. Luckily other people think about that kind of things.

======

So for the correctness: This rubber like part still needs to be installed so that the needle has something to close. This "donut" has a groove on one side, this is the part that is on the "closed side" of the carburetor? In other words: the needle touches the part without the groove?