Clogged Mower - Lawn Care Newbie

braintree56

Forum Newbie
Threads
My lawn mower gets clogged CONSTANTLY when mowing, and I'm hoping for some help... I suspect it's the type of grass.

Let's get this out of the way - I've done A LOT of searching and this has been a problem for at least 8 seasons in my home (since moving into my home).
1) I'm aware I shouldn't mow when it's wet. The clogging happens when I mow even after a long period of time without rain - in the evening, after a sunny day, when lawn is totally dry.
2) I've had the blade sharpened. I've actually had two mowers - one was a smaller one and after sharpening the blade, I figured it was getting clogged because it wasn't powerful enough - so I sold it and bought something better. I own a Husqvarna 7021P 21-Inch 160cc Honda GCV160 Gas Powered 3-N-1. It clogged brand new. I also had it serviced in the second year and paid for a blade sharpening. No change.

It happens more frequently in certain areas of the lawn where there is a type of grass that is pretty stiff. It's also hard on the feet. I've tried some Scott's stuff, but I'm not sure if that will address the issue. I think it may be rye grass. But I'm not even sure if that's the problem.

I don't care a lot about having a perfectly manicured lawn... My lot is about .25 acre, but it takes hours to mow my lawn because of the clogs. At my old house, I used to love caring for my lawn, but now I dread it. Any assistance would be great.

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
So what is clogging? Are you bagging, discharging or mulching the grass?

Boobala

Lawn Pro
Threads
How tall is the grass before you cut, how often do you cut, have you tried raising the cutting height, ???

braintree56

Forum Newbie
Threads
Thanks for your questions. The clogs are happening on the side discharge. It does help somewhat if I mow more frequently and at a higher cutting height, however I generally try to mow it once a week - if I let it go beyond that the clogging would happen at every pass no matter what the cutting height was. I've experimented with different cutting heights. Generally I try to cut it as short as possible, but if it's long, I might do it in two stages.

I really think it's something with the type of grass. My neighbor across the street doesn't fertilize or anything and his grass is soft and thin. I tried my mower on his lawn once when he had really let it go and it worked fine. My grass could be shorter than his and it's a giant pain...

Darryl G

Lawn Addict
Threads
Couple things that may help besides what's already been discussed.

1) Raise your discharge chute up if it's safe to do so to reduce restriction and open the discharge up, if you don't already do that.

2) See if there is a high lift blade available for your machine. Being a 3-n-1 mower if probably has a 3-in-1 blade on it. They compromise between being able to mulch and discharge/bag and don't throw very much air. A high lift blade has a larger air foils to throw more air and discharge better.

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
See if you can get a higher lift blade.
They create more draught to blow the grass into the bag
Also wash the bag now & then as dust build up clogs the bag so the air can not get out.
Down here it is easy cause we have swing back blades and fitting 4 high lifts will pack so much grass into the bag you have to lift the handle bars up to keep the front wheels on the graoud.
My contractors all run 4 high lifts cause it means they get 3 times the grass into the bag.
Every time you have to walk back to empty the bag it costs money.
particularly if you are trying to squeeze in 15 to 25 mows a day