Primer bulb problems

goosemasterkl

Threads
What would cause a primer bulb to not want to pump up? Also the primer bulb that was on this leaf blower was deteriorated over 50 percent and the blower would run; what's up with that? I thought if one had a hole in it the engine wouldn't run. Please someone help me to understand this!!!!!! Thanks

bertsmobile1

Lawn Royalty
Threads
The primer is a one way valve when you press down on it the air ( or fuel ) inside is forced into the fuel tank.
When you take your finger off the rubber / plastic returns to its usual shape & draws fuel through the carb.
The most usual reason for a new one not returning is hooking it up backwards.
Some primers have 1 valve, some have 2 some carbs have a one way valve and some fuel lines have a one way valve.

Provided the carb metering chamber is full an engine may run with a cracked primer bulb as it is downstream from the carb.
What usually happens is not only does it leak but because the tank can not pressurize the impliment will not work very well in some positions with the carb higher than the fuel tank.

goosemasterkl

Threads
Bertsmobile1; Thanks for your reply, that helps me understand it somewhat. Again thanks for responding. Have a great week-end.